NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Improvement with my greys

lvlasked

well a couple of us where talking about the 2 greys I got on my welcome page for I thought id make a post on it today so we can talk about it in one thread :D

well first off I got the parrots on thrusday they came from a lad around my ages witch is 25 he admitted to me he only got them to breed off and make cash and was keeping them in a aviary all year around and told me hen bird dose not like human contact at all and the cock bird when he got him was semi tame, but started to go wild for being in his aviary i got these birds as i have been looking for one for ages but i got the both of them for £700 i wont lie that's what i paid for the pair of them..

so for the improvement since thrusday 7th November to sunday the 10th November,

well truth be told as you would expect there only a small improvement if any....

the cock bird that was semi tame will now allow anyone to hand feed him and pet him on the head for around 1 min at a time any longer then that and he gets annoyed.. but its progress...

hen bird will now whistle to you when you whistle to her and she will take food out of your hand if you keep whistling and move slowly to her :D

as its sunday im hoping my cage comes tomorrow that i brought for them as atm there in a bam budgie cage that the bloke came with them in :( feel real bad for them

Edited by lvlasked

They will continue to show improvement as you treat them with respect and kindness. Expect it to take a really long time and most adult greys are not cuddly. For them to be whistling and taking food from your hands is great news. It will take months or even years to build trust with them, so give them the best of your time and don't push them too fast. You are improving their lives greatly. It would help to know their history. If they were formerly a mated breeding pair it will be different than if they were companions to humans and just shoved in the same cage with a hope they would breed and create a cash flow. Either way, bless you for making a better life for them. You will be rewarded for your kindness and a quiet gentle approach.

I know it take time, im just glad I have a pair after so ment years of talking about it :D and the (bloke said they have had eggs and chicks) atm there both cleaning each other and the cock bird is feeding the hen bird .

just been out to to cut some tree branches :D just been cleaning the bark off one of them as im going to make a stand of out it some I have cleaned it and treated it and also got some to go in there new cage . also brought some more toys for there new cage so I can change them around once a week so there not playing with the same toys for weeks on end

That is really great progress already! I can really relate to your excitement and happiness at finally having found your Grey, and two of them at that. They both will sense how pleased you are to become companions and will thrive under such thoughtful care. Thanks for the update. Would love to see pics when you have the time. Are you going to keep their current names or change their names as you get to know them better? Am so glad you three found each other :)

they have no names :D my 4year old some wants to call the cock bird ( birdie ) lol but they will need names :D and photos will come once there out of the cage there in because it makes me look bad, people might think im keeping them into throught my own choice and I am not but as I say new cage be here tomorrow I hope and then ill get some fruits In and toys for them, hopful there start to come out of the cage them and have a little play but atm I think there looking to breed

well today i was told I could tell how old my birds are by the last 2 numbers on the ring is this true ?? if so the cock bird was born in 2006 and the hen bird born 2001 :D they olddddddd :D lol well either way the hen been allowing the cock bird to have sex, but if she dose lay I think I may remove these eggs.

I am so glad things are progressing well. From your description, both greys seem pretty well-adjusted with human interaction. I guess my only question has to do with their history and your expectations. It seems they are a bonded pair who have bred and had chicks. I have no experience with this at all. Do you hope to keep them as companion greys or breeders? You mentioned that if the female lays eggs, you will remove them. Do you plan to breed them in the future? Is that something you feel ready to do? I assume they share a cage. It has always been my understanding that breeder/pair bonded greys do not really seek human relationships too deeply--though there may be exceptions. I look forward to reading more posts by more experienced members to address this issue. Your situation is rather atypical so I just look forward to hearing and learning more about what comes next for you. By the way--saying they are "OLDDDDDDDD" is not quite true. The male is sexually mature, but only by a few years. The female is older, but by no means "OLD". They can live 50-60 years.

and now I have them a new home :D

well now for the progress cock bird in all honestly still allows me to pet him now and again and the hen bird has started to sing more and make all different sort of sounds :D they both seem happy always sleeping on 1 leg and pruning one and other and feeding eachother. and they both will take food from your hand.

as for what im looking from them not a lot to be honest im quite happy I have a couple Africa greys after so long in wanting them so anything is a pluss, as for breeding I guess I may take a chick off them if they do lay for me, but i do need to install a nest box into there cage first tho, as my misses would like a cuddle tame parrot so I guess getting a chick off them for free isn't a bad idea - but ill see how they get on first

I have brought them 6 toys so far some good food and they getting fruit every other day the cock bird was plucking his neck by the looks of things before I got him but since I have been talking to him and trying to keep them happy his feathers seem to be coming back slowly so touch wood it keeps progressing that way

IMG_0037.jpg

well they both have come out the cage tonight and eating and drinking and singing and feeding each other again also the cock bird desided to have a flight test around the room :D hen bird not had a flight test but maybe she have one soon god knows how im get them back in the cage :D lol the joys im going to have

15/11/2013

cock bird improved a little more I got a HELLO out of him :D still dosnt like being touched but that's ok :D and the hen bird as been singing a lot lately and she gos in and out of the cage when they feel like it now :D also sprayed them with water today to give them a bath :D cock bird didn't mind the hen bird didn't like it but they do need a bath once in a while gave them a hand treat after spraying them to reward them for not biting me to bits lol

It was great to tune in today and catch up on the wonderful progress and new home for your two "love birds." :D I can tell you are over the moon to have them live with you, and I love it that you are enjoying them for just who/what they are which will pay off in spades in the long run. I, too, will be fascinated over time to see how this bonded pair thrives and goes along.

• 2 weeks later...

29/11/2013 update

well as you would all think progress as slowed down now :D they know have a nest box just incase but atm there moulting all over the place, they both do actly talk say quite a few words but you have to be out the room so they think there in the house on there own to hear them talk :D but really good they also always out of the cage now and eating loads food atm due to the moulting ofcourse I still try to pet them when they allow me to so not to stress them out as I have said before there never be silly tame but atleast there ok some times and they go back in the cage now when asked so that's a result :D they ofcourse are starting to like different fruits now as well as there seeds I do still spray them with a bottle of water now and again to get them to groom and keep the dust down :D

• 3 weeks later...

18/12/2013

hen bird no improvement but the cock bird wow :D well first off he now come off the cage to get food off you if your sat down on the sofa :D he likes flying around the house and sitting with the dogs :D also he walked on my hand and sat there why I walked around the house :D not bad ey :D

18/12/2013

hen bird no improvement but the cock bird wow :D well first off he now come off the cage to get food off you if your sat down on the sofa :D he likes flying around the house and sitting with the dogs :D also he walked on my hand and sat there why I walked around the house :D not bad ey :D

So good to hear the male is finally getting along well with you. I am sure your girl will come around with all the love and care she is now getting. You have to remember what they've been through, with the previous owner. And it has been my experience with all the birds I have known, the females seem more wary. She is going to be even less trusting because she got poorly treated. Once she realizes that is all in the past and not going to happen again, she will learn to trust you.