NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

do i need to register my birds anywhere?

lvlasked

My three parrots are all micro-chipped. It is quite simple. Take them to an avian veterinarian. My parrots had absolutely no reaction to the micro-chipping. Ana Grey my smallest grey was only about 290 grams when she was micro-chipped when she was about one year old. She is now 5. I can take my parrots back and have them scanned for their chips anytime I want. They are registered with "Home Again" so if they are lost they can be taken to any veterinarian with a micro-chip scanner or any humane society and I can be contacted. It is against the law to knowingly keep a micro-chipped pet and the offender can be prosecuted, at least where I live that is the law.

As for cost, of course, it will vary. My parrots, of course, where deemed healthy by the vet before chipping and it cost about $65, if I remember, for a total of around $100,including check-up, but that was 3-5 years ago in Washington State. I also asked that they not be sedated, as I believe that is more harmful that a poke by a needle.

Edited by luvparrots

I have had Misty chipped twice because unusually the first one failed or came out. The first time the vet had his nurse assist to reduce the likelihood of Misty resenting me for the insult. In fact there was no hint of trauma and Misty showed no sign of resentment against of the humans involved.

Likewise for the second chipping with a different vet. No problem at all. If you feel unduly worried about it your anxiety may transfer you your parrot. There is nothing to worry about. It is quick simple and painless with no sign of discomfort.

Steve n Misty