NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Zazu is home!

sewpaulp

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this website since I made the decision to buy an African grey - August 28th 2013.

Zazu is finally home! It is my first bird and I don't know what to really expect. He is 16 weeks now.

He seems very scared, I just want him to love and trust me.

I have placed him in his cage and left him alone. I'm sitting on the couch a few metres away typing out this post.

Should I interact? or will be warm up to me without interaction at this moment?

Congratulations on bringing your baby grey home and welcome to you and Zazu! :)

Yes, just do as you are by letting him settle in and get used to the new home and family. If he starts wanting to come closer, then do so. Just keep a calm and loving environment for him and he will start feeling relaxed as well. Let him set the pace of when interaction up close is desired. You can of course let him out when you are certain you have the room area safe and windows, mirrors etc. covered or closed so he can't fly in to one.

Congrats on getting Zazu home and just take it slow and easy, it can take a while for a grey to come to feel comfortable in new surroundings, the important thing is not to rush him, let him decide when he is ready for interaction. The bonding process can take time and a grey's trust has to be earned so it doesn't come easy or quickly but if you are patient with him and go slow and easy it will happen, just relax and let nature take its course.

Welcome sewpaulp. Just relax and talk to Zazu and let him know what you are doing. You are now his "flock" so let him get use to having you around. Please tell us a little more about Zazu. Where did you get him; from a breeder or pet store and what were you told about him. Details please.

Congratulations, and yes, definitely details. How old, where did he come from, why did you choose him and he choose you? I'm always interested in why we not only choose a bird for a companion, but why we choose a specific type of bird. Can't wait to hear all about Zazu -- love the name!

I have to totally agree the name is awesome! I drew such blanks when trying to name Marco but when I hear her say something like What you doing Marco ... its all good LOL :D welcome to the boards and welcome home zazu :D

Definately tell us a lil more bout you and your new baby. Where ya from, were you able to make any bonding with zazu before bringing him home etc. We love pictures as well. Cant wait to hear all about it !

Wow this is wonderful! How can I go wrong with all the support of you guys! :)

I'm from South Africa, and purchased Zazu from a breeder. He just seemed to be crying out to me, wanting to be held. - Love at first sight! He hasn't been DNA sexed yet, my luck he will turn into a she!

I chose an African Grey, no not for its known talking ability, but its intellect. An African grey does not merely repeat phrases and words, there is a level of understanding, reasoning, thinking and learning - cognitive ability. In choosing Zazu i believe i have obtained a hopefully maintain a life long friendship.

Will post pics up soon.

Lights out :)

I chose an African Grey, no not for its known talking ability, but its intellect. An African grey does not merely repeat phrases and words, there is a level of understanding, reasoning, thinking and learning - cognitive ability. In choosing Zazu i believe i have obtained a hopefully maintain a life long friendship.

I couldn't agree more on what you said.

Hi sewpaulp and welcome to you and Zazu to the grey forum.

As you go through the post on in our forum you will read a lot about grey time.

Grey time is accepting all things at their pace and on their terms and there is nothing any of us can do to change this.

When they accept you, there is nothing in this world to match it.

Welcome. Don't forget he is a baby so probably he will be wanting to be held and loved. Don't be afraid of giving him all the attention he wants right now. He will needs rests, but he will enjoy being with you and playing on the back of your couch or chair or table - wherever you are. So looking forward to hearing more about him.