NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

powder coated cages finding conflicting information. hopefully some1 can clear it up

shane

hello, im new here but hopefully on my way to adopting a baby grey. i saw on the sites home page (under "home hazards") that it says to avoid cages that are powder coated. but every cage ive seen is powder coated and ive even read a bunch of posts throughout the internet and on this forum that recommends powder coating. so im just confused as to what to look for. can anyone verify if it is ok or not to get a cage that is powder coated? im wanting to buy a cage that says it is wrought iron that is powder coated.

thanks for any advice

• Haha 1

Here is a good link to one person's review and information on various cage brands:

Cage Brands

Hope this is helpful. My Inara came with a powder coated cage (can't seem to find a brand marking on it anywhere). She is a little over 2 years old and the powder coating is scratched and chipped in the areas that she uses most. So I am now in the market for a stainless steel cage -- but OUCH on the prices for the cost up front. However, to break the cost down over her lifetime, the cost is worth it rather than having to replace cages every couple of years. I'd like to hear from some of our members about what brand of powder coated cages they have and how they have held up and for how long. Certainly, there have to be good quality, sturdily coated ones out there.

Good topic!

Thanks you two for your advice. I checked out that link to the cage reviews.. whew it seems tough.. looks like most cages have some flaws (lead in the paint, rust issues, etc), I didn't even see the cage that im looking at in there. Im looking at one from BirdCagesForLess dot come, but when I look at their site, it never tells me what name brand the cage is? That may be a scary thing huh? possibly it is a cheaply made replica of a nicer cage? and therefore more potential for rust, lead, sharp edges? whew it is kind of stressful searching for a cage. LOL

here is the one I found (seemed to be OK until I realized there is no name brand for the cage)

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/African-Grey-Bird-Cages/PA5704

I have spent a lot of time 3 years ago looking for appropriate cage for my Grey, looking for a model, material, price, delivery terms and charges, quality of the fabrication etc. etc. I've decided to have custom made cage. I've made rough drawings, went to the workshop, explain what I want, made an order and in 2 weeks the cage was finished - made of some stainless steel parts, some powder coated parts and glass front and rear. This way I've got combination of materials and look of the cage that I wanted. Whenever you can - choose custom tailored cage and choose new cage over second-hand cage. New custom made cage will fit your wishes and budget. It works good here in Macedonia. :-) Powder coated cages are OK and are safe for the bird and also paint is long lasting and durable.

Thanks, do you happen to recall the website that you got a custom made cage from? unless it was over $800.

If it's too expensive, I'll probably need to get the one I found for about $459 for now, and then upgrade in a couple of years.

I am afraid it will not work for you. :)

I am from Macedonia (Europe) and cage was made here in Macedonia. The workshop that made the cage it do not deliver abroad. I believe that in your country you can find some manufacturer who can produce the cage as per your drawings and ideas.

I just wanted to give you idea that can spare you efforts and funds and most of all - to have a unique cage model. The cage on the picture bellow is 142cm x 90cm x 72cm, open top, front and rear made of 8mm clear view glass and costs around $400.

DSC_0056.jpg

...no, not any issue at all. Poly can not see his reflection and he enjoy clear and unobstructed view over the room as we do enjoy watching him...no bars obstructing his/our view. He has never, never, never bumped into the glass. Poly is young bird (3 years) and this is his first cage and from the very first day he likes it. He was never confused with the glass. He knows that there is something in front of him because it is tangible, he touches it with his beak...he knows that it is always there. Actually, the whole front side is a door and when he wants to go out he just knock on the glass and say "Ciao".

For the very beginning, especially if you are short in time to look for custom made model, than buy the cage that suits your budget keeping in mind the minimum required measures for the Grey and also look for the safety issues (no sharp edges, no rust or paint damages). Power coated cages are OK and as I said before...always chose new cage over old one. However, if for any reason you will buy second-hand cage, than make careful inspection of the cage condition, be sure to remove all the rust and stains, immobilize all the sharp edges, tight all the loosen parts and most important and above all - wash it thoroughly and make complete disinfection of every inch of the cage.

Don't break your head if you will make wrong choice. You can always upgrade and change something on the cage, and you can do it by yourself. You will find numerous tips on the net.

My Inara came with a powder coated cage (can't seem to find a brand marking on it anywhere). She is a little over 2 years old and the powder coating is scratched and chipped in the areas that she uses most. So I am now in the market for a stainless steel cage -- but OUCH on the prices for the cost up front. However, to break the cost down over her lifetime, the cost is worth it rather than having to replace cages every couple of years. I'd like to hear from some of our members about what brand of powder coated cages they have and how they have held up and for how long. Certainly, there have to be good quality, sturdily coated ones out there. Good topic!

If Inaras cage is only two year old and has scratches and chips in the powder coating. I think the cause would either be owner induced during assembly, tools hitting it hard, using too abrasive cleaning tools, strong chemicals or lastly a really poor job of powder coating it. Jakes cage is 8 years old and Dayo's is almost 7 years old. These cages are rolled outside and get soaked when I give both birds a shower while in their cages on those warm summer days. Neither have any scratches, chipped coating or rust. I will say in regards stainless steel. Not are are the same quality due to different grades of stainless used when constructing them. Stainless can rust over time as well, just a lot longer before it happens. In my opinion the high cost of stainless versus powder coated cages is just too high. Also, when you decide to replace the cage with a different size or style, powder coated makes it much more easy on the pocket book. :)

Jakes cage is 8 years old and Dayo's is almost 7 years old. These cages are rolled outside and get soaked when I give both birds a shower while in their cages on those warm summer days. Neither have any scratches, chipped coating or rust. I will say in regards stainless steel. Not are are the same quality due to different grades of stainless used when constructing them.

That is really good information. I, too, did not think that after only 2 years that this cage should have that kind of wear and tear, and am now wondering if Inara's original humans bought it used and then passed it off on me as as much newer than what it is, or that it is a very cheaply done powdercoat. I only use Poop-off wipes on it, and a boiling water/vinegar mix to clean it and I use cloths and paper towels. Our climate here in the Rockies is high and very dry, so rust is usually not a problem. Thanks for pointing out the grades/quality of stainless steel, I'm definitely aware and now with so many cheap knock-offs out there manufactured who knows where, as Shane has stated, it's quite a job choosing a cage these days.

Could you tell me what brand your cages are? I'd also, (and I'm sure Shane would too) be delighted for any other brand recommendations. I don't recall if the forum posting rules discourage brand recommendations, if so could you private message me? I'd like to get Inara's cage replaced soon, and then will put this one out on our front deck and just use for morning "coffee squawk" and fresh air and sunshine with me in the warm spring - fall mornings.

One of the many reasons I appreciate this site, so much great information and sharing. Thanks!!

That is really good information. I, too, did not think that after only 2 years that this cage should have that kind of wear and tear, and am now wondering if Inara's original humans bought it used and then passed it off on me as as much newer than what it is, or that it is a very cheaply done powdercoat. I only use Poop-off wipes on it, and a boiling water/vinegar mix to clean it and I use cloths and paper towels. Our climate here in the Rockies is high and very dry, so rust is usually not a problem. Thanks for pointing out the grades/quality of stainless steel, I'm definitely aware and now with so many cheap knock-offs out there manufactured who knows where, as Shane has stated, it's quite a job choosing a cage these days.

Could you tell me what brand your cages are? I'd also, (and I'm sure Shane would too) be delighted for any other brand recommendations. I don't recall if the forum posting rules discourage brand recommendations, if so could you private message me? I'd like to get Inara's cage replaced soon, and then will put this one out on our front deck and just use for morning "coffee squawk" and fresh air and sunshine with me in the warm spring - fall mornings.

One of the many reasons I appreciate this site, so much great information and sharing. Thanks!!

No problems with recommending brands here. I also use a water and vinegar solution to clean the cages. I purchased both my cages from King Cages.

This is Dayo's cage: http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ELT_3628

Dorian's cage is from Avian Adventures. I got a really good deal on it because I was helping out at a pet store at the time so I got it at cost. They do tend to be expensive. I can tell you some features to look for. A wide front door is nice when you have to basically get inside it to deep clean. Look for food dishes that can be changed without going into the cage - easier if anyone other than your birds usual caretakers have to help out. Also look for tamper proof dishes. Dorian has been with his cage for about 5 years, and just discovered last month that he could open his dish doors from the outside and fling out the dishes. Luckily, the doors have catches that can be locked down and are, thus far, birdie proof, and he's really been trying, trust me!!!! A cage skirt helps (helps) contain mess. A cage far enough off the floor to store cleaning supplies underneath is helpfull. The wider the cage the better. Height is not as important. Also, make sure you're ordering a cage with the right bar spacing for a grey, 1" for a CAG, 3/4" for a TAG. If you're ordering online or from a catalogue and can't inspect a cage sample in person, make sure it is designed with no gaps between cage walls where a bird can get a talon caught. Most modern cages have addressed this issue, but the cage Dorian arrived in had spaces where the walls met the floor and roof and he DID get caught there once. As far as SS Vs powder coating, Dorian's cage is powder coated and doesn't have a chip, even where he plays banging a stainless steel bell about as hard as he can. Hope this helps.