NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey regurgitating, help!

Caitlyn

My 13 year old CAG has thrown up a few times in the last ten minutes. She has thrown up a treat that I gave her maybe a half hour ago and also little chunks of the scrambled eggs that I gave her a few hours ago. These are big chunks of food with no other liquids, etc. Looks like they came right out of the food bowl. Could she have eaten too fast and swallowed pieces that were too big to digest? She does get incredibly enthusiastic about eggs.

She is still VERY active and alert; I do have experience with sick birds and I know that they try to hide their symptoms, but she is honestly still full of energy. She is eager to come out of the cage and I even watched her eat a pellet. Her droppings and weight have been normal all day, although she just pooped and it was a little runny (however feces, urate and urine were still distinguishable).

It's too late to take her to a vet right now and I have to leave for my evening class in a couple minutes. Does anyone have some advice beyond the usual "get her to a vet?" If this is most likely an illness and if it continues, I will take her to a vet first thing in the morning.

Thank you!

Caitlyn, did she pump her head a time or two and bring it up or did she sling her head on bringing it up throwing it everywhere? When a bird regurgitates for you they stretch their neck and pump a time or two bringing up food that is not usually digested and they offer it to you but if they are vomiting they usually flick their head more violently slinging the partially digested food all over an area. From what you describe she is regurgitating for you and since she is otherwise acting and eating normally but do keep an eye out.

The confusing thing is that the motions look just like the mating "ritual" that my Meyers and TAG do for me, but Kona regurgitated again even after I covered her cage. She does seem to be very intent on regurgitating right when I come up to her cage door, but would she continue to do it even when she can't see me?

Its called " love"! Most people discourage the regurg, I do not. Of course, I never encourage an offering into my mouth, but if they want to regurg after a fun bonding moment, I have no problem letting them regurg into my hand. That is just me. Sophie is 13 now. She will regurg at least once a week especially after I spend alot of time with her. I always thank her for her regurg. She is pleased. Her regurg is mostly based on how much time I have spent with her. Oneday per weekend, is always about her. Nancy

Wow, really? I guess it's just so strange to me since I've had Simon and my friend's U2 making the motions at me for years, but I've never seen a bird actually regurgitate when it wasn't ill. Your post makes me feel ten times better!

Sophie regurs's all the time. When she feels we have played and snuggled especially that day, I get a BIG regurg and I wait for it. She will do so in my hand and I compliment her. I give her a big fat kiss and thank her for her efforts. She is pleased. Most think the regurg is a sexual thing. Has never been so for Sophie. Sophie is a snuggle muffin, and what has worked for us is I listen to her. I needed to understand her needs and requests, as well as she needed to understand " not happy with your decisions". I am her " rom"... mom...I keep her safe, develop relationships with other people and family members,and she is thriving! The regurg I think, is not interpreted as it is meant to be! It is an offering of love, and is ignored all the time.I believe in satisfying her need. I never reject her offering, just not in my mouth as it is unhealthy.

For a baby... they want to regurg in your mouth. More like " rooting". They need to be redirected into regurg into your hand.I know it is frowned upon... but I have never ignored my birds regurg. Just redirected it.It has worked for us. Sophie age 13 now, loves everyone and regurgs to everyone here.She doesn't bite, doesn't chew, for all family members. She will regurg to all of us. Nancy