NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dali's feather issues...

Carolina

Hello!

So Dali's feather issues continue. When we first got him, he shredded his secondary feathers out of stress and also because of a horrendous wing clip (he came like this, it wasn't my doing). He took a long time to molt and finally had 3 flight feathers come in. 1 fell out and the other he plucked because it was tender (he screamed when I touched it). His last flight feather looked like a blood feather and he injured it when he was playing in his cage (I saw it stick out in an odd manner). He fixed it and I thought nothing of it. Yesterday, I stepped out for a bit and came home to an almost tailless fid. The blood feather was out, there was a small amount of blood splattered in the cage, and he plucked all his tail feathers (both old and new) except for one. When I took him out of the cage, he was his normal happy self, he let me pet him and I noticed some blood under his wing. I took a closer look and it was just over his feathers and from the blood feather that he pulled. He's acting normal and eating normal. I bathed him today and he was happy, opened his wings for me to get the inside wet. Could it be that he plucked his tail feathers out due to frustration and pain from the blood feather?

Hello!

So Dali's feather issues continue. When we first got him, he shredded his secondary feathers out of stress and also because of a horrendous wing clip (he came like this, it wasn't my doing). He took a long time to molt and finally had 3 flight feathers come in. 1 fell out and the other he plucked because it was tender (he screamed when I touched it). His last flight feather looked like a blood feather and he injured it when he was playing in his cage (I saw it stick out in an odd manner). He fixed it and I thought nothing of it. Yesterday, I stepped out for a bit and came home to an almost tailless fid. The blood feather was out, there was a small amount of blood splattered in the cage, and he plucked all his tail feathers (both old and new) except for one. When I took him out of the cage, he was his normal happy self, he let me pet him and I noticed some blood under his wing. I took a closer look and it was just over his feathers and from the blood feather that he pulled. He's acting normal and eating normal. I bathed him today and he was happy, opened his wings for me to get the inside wet. Could it be that he plucked his tail feathers out due to frustration and pain from the blood feather?

This situation has been talked about in the past but I'll put in a refresher course. When feathers are in a bad condition they will grow back but they'll grow back unevefully. When this happens, the newer feathers growing back interfere with other feathers that are there or who are also growing back. The growing feathers no matter where thay are will pinch and push into areas where the underneath feathers should be there but aren't. This irritation causes the bird to start pulling out new growth feathers all over again in order to avoid discomfort. Many times, the bird is back to square one. It's only when the proper feathers are growing on top or under established feathers that the new growth will succeed. All the feathers will be in their proper place---fight feathers on top of covert feathers etc etc. Tail feathers are no exeption to the rule. When they grow back they may come back unevenly. It's not uncommon to find blood spots in different areas when all of this uneven plucking/chewing is going on. It's also not uncommon to find bald, irritated and raw areas caused by intense ppullung which comes from discomfort. Just because feathers are growing back, that doesn't mean that the regrowing feathers are in the right place. Frustration causes plucking. This whole process may take quite a while to be finally successful but there's nothing that can be done as far as which feathers grow out first. It all depends on uneven the feathers are in when the clipping happens. Patience is needed. As far as bad small bald spots go, the only thing that can be done is putting on a salve to cover those bald spots. This also applies to bloody areas arounf flight feathers, tail feathers Aloe Vera Gel is a great item to use. It's not toxic. People also use it for dry cracked skin. It can be purchased in pharmacies. sometimes in large supermarkets that have a drug area. Many people can talk about their situations concerning their bird's plucking and many of those people will also say that sadly the whole process took quite a while to finally be successful.

This is why Dan and I are advocates of the no clipping experience which is causes very bad feather experiences with birds who have plucking/chewing problem. I doubt that he or I will change our minds BUT only Dan can speak for himself.

Remmber the important things here---patience, knowing it may take a long time until success occurs and not putting any time limits concerning when that success will happen.

What Dave has said is true for it happened to my Josey, she came to me clipped at 4.5 months of age and hasn't been clipped since and now she is over 7 years old and just this year has gained a full set of flights. She had been chewing or pulling them out mostly on one side since she was just months old, she can gain altitude now but is not proficient at flying for she has gone so long without doing it her muscles need to be built up again. I don't think she is as confident a grey as she might have been if she wasn't clipped to begin with but thats all water over the dam now but if my telling this has helped another with their grey to leave them flighted then my story helps.

I saw this earlier today and did not post in hopes Dave would reply to it. He is the most experienced person we have on this forum. You can take his advice to the bank. Thanks for posting this very informative and very helpful post Dave! :)

Aso, as Dave said, I am completely against clipping. But, we do all understand that many times new bird owners receive them clipped. All here will help in any way they can when needed to get a bird back to full flight capabilities they were born to have.

Thanks for the replies! I did not have him clipped, he was clipped before he came home with my mom. I am definitely having his wings grown out again. Fortunately, he doesn't have any bald spots, just no tail :( I do bathe him with aloe vera. The lonely tail feather he left is still there and he doesn't seem to pick at it much. I just wanted to hear your opinions about this because you guys have a lot more experience! He's definitely back to himself today....talking my ear off...lol

Carolina... you are doing the right thing. Grow your babies feathers out.All babies need to learn how to fly, and should do so from the beginning. Develop flight muscles. BUT.... I still support parents that " trim", when entering terrible twos. Meaning... bird can still fly, but NOT out of control. It takes an important relationship between trimmer and parent. To me... this is the most critical time for parent and bird. I know most disagree, but thats okay! We all have our own beliefs and what works. Nancy

Hello everyone! A little update: We moved this weekend from a house to an apartment and I was worried Dali would pluck. He didn't! He seems to be enjoying his new, higher view outside. So, it seems that he's doing great now! Thanks for all the replies!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update but my husband has been diagnosed with stage 1 kidney cancer. We have tried to stay positive and Dali seems to not have noticed any changes. We're trying not to change our daily routine. He seems to be really liking the new place. He has 2 red tail feathers growing in and various flight feathers. He has not plucked at all! I'm just a little nervous because he has a couple of primaries growing in. I will keep an eye on them and him. Thank you all for your replies. Here's a pic of Dali enjoying his new view:

a>