NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Losing 1 big feather about once every 3 days

dannybrah92

Hello, recently I've noticed that my parrot is losing one of his huge feathers once in a while... Like a flight feather (not the main ones that are black) and one of the Red tail feathers, and other random medium size feathers.

It's not everyday but seems to happen every few days.. I believe he is pulling them out himself because I seen him do it only once, but it was as if he was just preening himself (I witnessed this while I was walking around with him having fun in the house)

However; NONE of these feathers have any trace of blood.

Is their a cause for worry? I have gone to the vet before and they thought nothing of the feathers.

His diet consists of:

First Meal:

Totally Organic Pellets/ Sesame seed mix in the morning. (around 4 teaspoons of seeds and 4 teaspoons pellets)

Second Meal:

Brown rice or Quinoa and Bell peppers or Broccoli or Romane Lettuce

Throughout the day for treats: Approx 1 or 2 Veggie Nutriberri

(just an example)

Edited by dannybrah92

Try to put more variety in her diet. She definitely needs more oil. Have you tried adding a little organic red palm oil to her wet food? Palm oil nuts are the majority of wild African Greys' diet in Africa. Maybe some organic chia, hemp or flax seed? She also needs some protein, at least once a week, like a cooked chicken drumstick BONE for the nutrients and calcium. My guys LOVE this! A nice mix of vegetables, some cut up fruit, and a mix of beans and grains are all the base of my guy's diet. Occasionally, they get a piece of a sardine, a bite of salmon, or a bite of scrambled egg.

I am not sure where you live but regular trips outside (in a cage) stopped my grey's initial plucking. It helps their mood, metabolism, and nutrient uptake. Try it! Just 15 minutes most days and you will see a more mellow bird.

Try to put more variety in her diet. She definitely needs more oil. Have you tried adding a little organic red palm oil to her wet food? Palm oil nuts are the majority of wild African Greys' diet in Africa. Maybe some organic chia, hemp or flax seed? She also needs some protein, at least once a week, like a cooked chicken drumstick BONE for the nutrients and calcium. My guys LOVE this! A nice mix of vegetables, some cut up fruit, and a mix of beans and grains are all the base of my guy's diet. Occasionally, they get a piece of a sardine, a bite of salmon, or a bite of scrambled egg.

I am not sure where you live but regular trips outside (in a cage) stopped my grey's initial plucking. It helps their mood, metabolism, and nutrient uptake. Try it! Just 15 minutes most days and you will see a more mellow bird.

She gets to be outside of her cage / cage door open for more than 70% of her day, I also take her around the house everyday too.

As far as diet. I give her Sesame seeds mainly for the calcium, so calcium is check.. if anything she might be having too much calcium.

I give her Quinoa for the Protein.. so protein is check.

I add Flaxseed powder and chia seeds with her Pellet/sesameseed mix to make them into balls (the flaxseed powder is an egg replacement and so is chia seeds) so fats is finally check.

I used to give her Coconut oil.. but I am afraid now that I might be giving her too much fats, isn't high fats bad ?

she is getting fats through.. Sesame Seeds, Flax Seeds, Chia Seeds, Nutriberri

You say majority of their diet is fats (palm oil).. if that is the case; should I feel fine giving her a high fat content diet?

Edited by dannybrah92

It sounds like a normal molt based on your description.

Agreed. It's not unusual for the bird to assist the feather drop during preening when it is close to dropping. Usually, the feathers will be molted symmetrically, one from one side and one from the other. Your companion is beautiful and looks very relaxed and well cared for. Thanks for sharing the photo. :)

Not sure how long a molt lasts, but I agree with others... sounds like a molt. She is beautiful and relaxed. Don't make it a big deal... gather your feathers and put them in a baby book. Watch for bald spots, over preening.My estimate is two weeks, but I think Dayo can answer better. Be careful with the excess fat. Sesame seeds should be limited. You are doing a GREAT job, and should be very proud of the picture you showed us! A BEAUTY! Nancy