NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How do you encourage two greys to bond?

Caitlyn

I recently acquired two young/middle-aged birds - a male TAG and a female CAG - who were apparently "bonded." However, I have come to discover that they have only been together about a year, and merely tolerate each other's presence on the playstand. They are very territorial about their own cages, especially the TAG, and are extremely reluctant about sharing food. I would love for them to have more space for when I am at school two days a week, but I can't afford to buy two huge cages at this point. It would be fabulous to be able to buy just one and have them live in it together.

I have not successfully housed any two strangers more than a year old together, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice on encouraging these two to be more friendly, or if you think it's feasible at all.

I recently acquired two young/middle-aged birds - a male TAG and a female CAG - who were apparently "bonded." However, I have come to discover that they have only been together about a year, and merely tolerate each other's presence on the playstand. They are very territorial about their own cages, especially the TAG, and are extremely reluctant about sharing food. I would love for them to have more space for when I am at school two days a week, but I can't afford to buy two huge cages at this point. It would be fabulous to be able to buy just one and have them live in it together.

I have not successfully housed any two strangers more than a year old together, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice on encouraging these two to be more friendly, or if you think it's feasible at all.

First off, the most important thing is to realize that the species/sub species that you own are naturally jealous, possesive and would be much happier if they had their own territory. Many people who have 2 greys would be extremely happy if their birds *tolerated* each other. Many times, that doesn't happen. Many won't share a playstand and definitely not wanna share a cage. They don't like sharing food with anyone including people. Many people can't take food bowls out of a cage without the bird trying to bite. Greys feel that what's theirs is theirs. There's no way for 2 birds to bond or be friendly with each other unless they want to. People have nothing to do with that. Each bird has their own personality. As far as 2 birds in one cage-----because of the personality of greys, putting 2 in one cage means that both are stuck with each other when the biting,nipping begins. Neither can get away. Because they are greys, each needs their own cage. One thing you can do is to buy a double cage that has a divider in it. But you should know that greys need a certain amount of space concerning the cage. Small cages just aren't good for them. The things you'd like to achieve many be good for other species but not greys.

Thank you for the answer. From what I've seen of them already, Oliver is very jealous when I interact with the other birds, and even the as-of-yet shy and reserved Kona starts to vocalize when she feels that the attention is too far from her. As you said, I am probably very lucky that they will share a perch. I definitely understand the spacial requirements of these birds and they are not in unacceptable cages at the moment; I just would like for them to have the largest cages possible (don't we all ^_^) . Anyway, your advice was very helpful. I will not count on them getting to the point where they can be in the same cage. Thanks again!

Dave is right, each grey needs their own cage where they can call it their home even if they do get along fairly nicely when out on a playstand, greys tend to be territorial about their cages as Dave described and some do not like any intrusion even from their trusted human.

Craigslist is one of my favorite cage-shopping locations! Of course all of my birds have the largest cages possible; no need to worry, not only will they have the best I can find/afford, but they are allowed out for much of the day to play and "hang out." I've accumulated many playstands over the years that the little birds don't even use, so the greys are on them all the time. Thank you all for your helpful answers. :)