NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

"Blackfish": CNN Films

JeffNOK

I just watched the CNN documentary "Blackfish" about captive Orcas and in particular the life of one orca, Tilikum. I must say that I was extremely moved by the film and can't seem to get it out of my mind. The more we understand the amazing intelligence and social nature of many animals, serious efforts must be made to change how we interact with and exploit them. Have any of you seen this film? Any thoughts?

I am already convinced of the intelligence and greatly aware of what our companionship has cost them. Knowing how the documentary turns out with Tilikum, I could not bear to watch the documentary Jeff. I have spent a lot of thought about what human companionship cost Gilbert/Gilda emotionally. She may be coming around but it's been at a very high cost to her wellbeing. She has been deprived of flight due to her own self destruction. I still have a sick feeling in my stomach at seeing her bloodied feathers packaged into a zip lock bag the day I met her and took her home. I don't have any answers for how to change this. I dearly love her, I know she could never be integrated into the wild and I have committed to doing my best to make her life the best it can be under the circumstances. Then, I see the happy healthy greys in the home of their beloved human and they are happy and healthy and kept from the "circle of life" in the jungles and I can't think that is so wrong either. There are so many good humans working hard to understand and change the lives of the whales and other mammals and other creatures living in captivity that I believe somewhere deep down, they do know that. From this viewpoint and knowing that I already feel so conflicted about this, do you recommend for me to watch the documentary?

To be honest, I don't know if I recommend it to you personally. It is certainly not an "entertaining" film. It is well-done and fact driven as far as I can see with an amazing amount of first-hand footage of events as they happened. It is emotional and unrelenting in it's message and hopefully is reaching those less-informed than yourself. Watching the film made me really sad and angry. I wouldn't want you to watch the film and feel the way I felt, although for some this wake-up call is necessary. I think for me, I am glad I saw it simply to make me more aware and open to share with others.

Thanks Jeff, I think we need to have this kind of wakeup call. I will watch it but I will schedule it for when I know I am not already reeling from other losses. Right when I think our world is starting to notice, starting to preserve the elephants, the whales, the endangered species, then I read a headline about a rhinoceros preservation group raising money by auctioning a package that includes killing one of these creatures. Then I can't even find words for the feelings it provokes. I just find myself shaking my head and thinking 'with friends like that, your enemies look pale in comparison'.

I saw the documentary last week. It was a sad thing concerning the trainer who died. I've been against all the animals that used to be kept in captivety from many years ago. Elephants, all wild cats, bears, monkeys. All of that changed when the big major zoos started to build huge beautiful habitats for the different animals and to this day, those animals are happy. The San Diego zoo, The Bronx Zoo, The Philidelphia zoo plus others were involved. I can remember watching them build up the monkey habitat in the Bronx Zoo---Graat Apes/monkey habitat---$ 8 million dollars--3 yrs to do it. The bird santuary--$2 million--2 yrs to complete. The forest habitat--$7 million--5 yrs to complete.

After the blackfish documentary, the commentator interviewed 4 people who were all knowledgable concerning Orcas and other wild animals. The big mistake had to do with one of the guests who disagreed about whether the Orcas suffered. He was the retired head of another zoo and he disagreed with the TV program saying that there was nothing wrong with the way the Orcas were being handled. He immedititly brought up the many places where habitats had been built in the past saying that those other animals were quite happy which is correct. His huge mistake was saying that the Orcas were also in a *natural Habitat*. They weren't. They were being kept in lage pools which isn't a habitat. They're holding pens. It was very sad to see the baby orca being separated from the mother. Penn and Teller had a white tiger since it was a cub. On stage, the tiger decided to maul Penn ( or Teller--can't remember). I really don't know if he's still performing. He was seriously injured. I can remember a trained elephant in a circus stepping down on a handler's head because he was startled. The handler died. So, what's going on with the Orcas isn't something new but it will remain the way it is as long as people pay to see them just to get a thrill.

Edited by Dave007

I am already convinced of the intelligence and greatly aware of what our companionship has cost them. Knowing how the documentary turns out with Tilikum, I could not bear to watch the documentary Jeff. I have spent a lot of thought about what human companionship cost Gilbert/Gilda emotionally. She may be coming around but it's been at a very high cost to her wellbeing. She has been deprived of flight due to her own self destruction. I still have a sick feeling in my stomach at seeing her bloodied feathers packaged into a zip lock bag the day I met her and took her home. I don't have any answers for how to change this. I dearly love her, I know she could never be integrated into the wild and I have committed to doing my best to make her life the best it can be under the circumstances. Then, I see the happy healthy greys in the home of their beloved human and they are happy and healthy and kept from the "circle of life" in the jungles and I can't think that is so wrong either. There are so many good humans working hard to understand and change the lives of the whales and other mammals and other creatures living in captivity that I believe somewhere deep down, they do know that. From this viewpoint and knowing that I already feel so conflicted about this, do you recommend for me to watch the documentary?

Don't watch it. I know you from the past.

But you can't compare that documentary with the life of birds in captivity. It's a whole different thing. There's hundreds of species of birds that can't be kept in captivity including many species of parrots. There's only a few that can be kept in captivity and be happy as long as people don't decide to look at the bird as a domestic animal. The shape that captive birds are in has to do with the people who deal with them in so many aspects.

Edited by Dave007

Thank you Dave. I fully agree with all you have said. Thanks for the advice to spare me sleepless nights. And you are right in regard to the parrots which are happy to coexist with humans. Its the impulse acquisitions that go bad or I don't think anyone goes into it and thinks they will destroy the spirit of any creature. You are equally right in the observation of the many really good programs and natural habitats that are maintained to allow some of earth's beautiful creatures to imprint on the minds of our children especially that we need to be good stewards and preseve our great treasures of nature. Please don't tell my husband, I don't think I have agreed this much with anyone since he met me.

Good comments Dave. I watched Blackfish as well. It did bring on strong emotions of anger and sadness at the same time. My personal opinion for many years has been that Orcas should never be captured and placed in captivity. Hopefully ir will be outlawed.