NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopting/Buying a 2 year old African Grey

I have been looking at the possibility of getting a 2 year old African Grey. The person selling the bird is moving and cannot take the bird with them. The owner is getting back in touch with me tomorrow. What kind of questions should I ask the owner. I am new to Parrot ownership, so not sure what I could/should ask her about. I heard that they bond better when bought when younger. We do have someone home all the time at our house, my husband & I are retired, but we don't go too many places.

Thank you in advance for any help !

I would ask when or if the bird has ever seen a vet. Me, myself would swoop it up without thinking twice...:) I would ask about his diet, favorite foods, nighttime rituals. Words he says & words they use with him. YOU want to keep things as close to what he knows as possible. Does he bite, does he scream, has he been around kids or other pets, etc. Is he used to showers or baths, spraying etc. Is he a shoulder bird?

There are a lot of threads about new parrot ownership & what to expect...they are not quiet birds, they are messy, etc. They will bond with a new family, but it can take time depending on the bird & his transition. Lots to read here.....please read as much as you can & research so you understand the commitment you are making. YOU need to be this birds forever home and except him for who he is & what he brings to your family.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

Talon provided great questions to ask.

One thing also, is at 2 years old he is still a very young grey. At that age they start testing their independence and can be a little testy at times. They are amazingly intelligent sentient beings and understand a lot of what you are saying at that age, even if they do not yet vocalize some of those in human language. You just need to become familiar with their body language so you know if you are crossing a boundary, receiving a "No I don't want to step up" or yes I'll step up for example. Ask as many questions as you can think of on top of what Talon posted. What kind of toys does he like, here does he like to sit and chill with the family, T Stand, top of cage etc.

Here is a link to the body language thread on this forum: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?109373-Body-language-most-frequently-seen

Also, a link on what you can expect at different ages of a grey: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?126227-Grey-Personality-changes-in-years

I just wanna disagree with something here about them being noisy. I say this in order to not discourage this person from getting that grey. Greys are known as one of the quiestest birds in the parrot kingdom. They're ideal for apartments, houses that are close together. Most people in the next house or nearby apartment won't even know there's a grey there until the bird starts playing with a toy and gets aggressive and starts to growl and squawk at the toy which doesn't last very long. You'll rarely read anything about people complaining about their neighbor's grey. They're more likely to complain about a dog that constantly barks.

Hi Uncle Bud, welcome to the Greyforum. Great list of questions by Talon. I would only add, relax. Grey are very intelligent and very intuitive. Relax, don't move too quickly and talk to Coco to let him know what is happening. Greys are great body readers and listen and watch every move. Be confident and relaxed and Coco will be too.

Edited by luvparrots

Too explain my comment that greys can be noisy....I rescued my cag from a family that had her only 6 weeks, they joined this forum wanting to know how to make it be quiet as she whistled and talked alot thought the day...yes, she has a loud voice, but she isn't noisy at all compared to other birds.

Welcome. I would add one more thing to think about. You said you are both retired. That most likely means you are over 65 yrs. old. Have you considered who would take the bird after you are gone. I am going through that right now.

And Ray - they said the baby's name is Coco. LOL

I am reaching the most wonderful time in the life of a rehomed grey and the question I would ask is what time can you pick Coco up? I am only being silly because I see that the time on your posting means you have already had your meeting. If you decide you are ready and willing for Coco to be a member of your family, you will know it. If you do have time to ask some questions before you take Coco home, getting an idea of the daily routine, ask if anything has been traumatic such as being afraid of the vacuum cleaner or other household items that could be especially troubling to Coco while you are getting to know one another. What are Coco's favorite food choices, are there any snacks like almonds or pine nuts that will be something you could use for early "bribes" just to give good things every time you pass the cage. Are there any songs, favorite word or whistle games that you could continue or that you should know the "answer" phrase, or the way to ask for bed time, step ups. What do they call the cage when they ask Coco to go inside. The more things you could learn the less foreign the new home will seem.

So, today is the tomorrow you wrote about!! I am with Kantana, i would be asking when can i bring Coco home! Things i wish i had known are foods they like, words they say, bestest toy they can not do without and words or phrases they say, also any habits that they are use to. If you don't get the answers, no worries, in time these are things you two will figure out by the body language, plus please remeber, what they love one day they may hate next so nothing with greys are set in stone. And don't worry when you put that brand new toy in his cage and he is scared to death of it, that is normal for them! lol. I always thought i had bad taste in picking out toys but in a few months they decided it wouldn't kill them and started playing with it! There is a great poster somewhere on this forum about a grey eating green pellets on Tuesday but if he ate them on Wednesday, they would kill him. It is the funniest thing i have have ever read, but so true on how greys think! Best of luck!

I did go and meet Coco today and we are going to take her home next Monday. I did spend about 1 hour there with the owner & her daughter, she was a bit talkative when I was there, not too shy. She made a bit more noise/conversation when we went into the kitchen but could still hear us. I have asked the Mom to write down routine, favorite foods etc. The live only 20 minutes from me and said even once I take her home that I can call her if I have any more questions. I probably will use this forum too to help me with her life with us. Thanks for the input so far

I know we can't wait, need to make sure this weekend I have everything I need here at my house. It is great that the family is living only 20 minutes away so I can continue to ask questions. I also have a good friend that has an African Grey who can also help me & this Forum I am sure will come in handy too

It is preferable to transport a bird in a travel cage, I have seen some people allow them on their shoulders for the ride home but that has all kinds of dangers with it as you can imagine, there are some sites you can order a collapsible wire cage but in a pinch you can use a small carrier meant for cats or small dogs.

Unless her present cage is so small it would fit inside your car, yes you need to use a travel cage or carrier. You certainly would not want to strap the cage with grey in the back of a pickup for example. It would be a horrendous experience for the grey.

Edited by danmcq

We got Coco yesterday afternoon. We brought her home in her cage, it did fit inside my truck, she stayed on the perch & proceeded to eat some of the pellet/seeds/nuts that fell out of her cups & seemed fine. She seems to be adjusting okay - is eating & drinking. Not nervous ( I don't think) I am a new parrot owner & from reading books & from links on this forum his gestures, etc seem good. I am taking it slow - and it seems to be working. She has make a little bit of noise -- a couple of whistles and chatter this morning, she seems to be just taking everything in around her. I think this forum is great.... I intend to go hear to search out some FAQ if needed and also if I have specific questions for our new African Grey-Coco