NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

So small

Sanveaz

When I got Escher in April he was 10 months old. I had done research on greys before getting him I knew there was a size difference between CAGS and TAGS but being the visual person that I am telling me the difference in inches and showing me are two different things. Having never seen a TAG before Escher I didn't realize how tiny he was. When I brought him to the vet she made a comment about him being small for a TAG. I remember her saying he weighed two hundred forty something grams. I remembered reading somewhere that they are usually between 10 and 13 inches. I measured him when I got home and he was 9 inches. Last month when that 4 month old TAG wanted to come with me I noticed he was as big if not bigger than Escher. I also noticed in other parronts pictures with their TAGS that they looked bigger.

To get to my point I now have a digital kitchen scale and yesterday I put Escher on it and he weighed 255 grams, so I got out the tape measure and he is now 9 1/2 inches. I looked up the average weight for a TAG and it's around 300 grams. He's perfectly healthy and eats very well so he's not starving he just very tiny. It just surprised me how tiny he is. I didn't realize how true it was when I told people I have a tiny little African grey.

• Haha 1

HRH Inara tips in between 295-297 grams. I was unprepared for how small she was in comparison to the CAG and 'zon I had in the first half of my life. I absolutely fell in love with her, and I find her diminutive self very charming, elegant, and graceful. To my husband, she is a big bird. His mother had finches and budgies when he was growing up. To me, she shall always be my "little bird."

Because she is a bit over 2 years old (26 months), my assumption is that this range will be her adult weight. Escher is much younger, and so it's reasonable to think that Escher could put on more weight over the coming months.

Gilgirl consistently weighs in at 365 grams. Our vet has mentioned a few times that she was small but her weight is good and she feels her keel bone to see how much padding is there. I wouldn't on my best day dare to feel her keel bone, or try to measure her. Escher is a sweetie.

My grey Corky is on the small size for a CAG at a little over 409 grams and that`s the weight she has carried all her life and my amazon Cricket is also form 405 to 411 grams.

When my amazon Cricket came to us she was very over weight at over 500 grams and could not fly.

I think weight becomes more important when trimmer or vet feels they are under weight for their size. I truly pay attention more, when they are sick, not eating well. THATS when I weigh them. I of course will worry about dehydration, etc. Luckily, I have never had any illness for 13 years. Yes... I am a little neurotic, and leave them in the car, until their name is called. Then I get them. NO WAY am I going to sit in a vet office for " healthy visit!" Nancy