NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bathing question

loviechick

I know that someone mentioned spraying and bathing, so I figured I would start a new thread. Does anyone have any Greys that think they're being murdered when being bathed? They usually fly off their perches if I spray them in the cage, and they both flip out...I'm not sure if they were punished with spray bottles or not being that they both came from abusive homes. Should I try sticking them in the tub and spraying them? What would be the best way to get them used to it, any pointers?

Guest briansmum

yeah brian LOATHES water on his body full stop. i've tried every way possible and he hates them all.. so i guess, no i'm sorry i have no pointers. i'm just here to let you know you are not alone.

i have decided to mist now instead of bath or shower beacuse while he runs away from it.. at least he can move, rather than me holding him toe pinned under the shower. so i have bought a bird mister, which being yellow.. he's petrified of, so i haven't used it yet. he's getting acquainted LOL

I have a sunconure that can't get enough water, Sam even will "shower" in our refrigerator water dispenser, however the girls Izzy and Gabby, CAG's have decided to try the kitchen sink, they'll drink right out of the tap,and play with it, but only Gabby has been brave enough to actually get wet, Izzy is totally against it...I bought this round 18" by 1" high dog dish that was metal, and have put ice cubes and water in it...they love it, but again only Gabby is brave enough to get in and play.

Chico HATES getting wet LOL everytime he sees me with a spray bottle (even though I stopped staying him when he was like 8mths old) he says Chico is a dirty birdy...LOL

Anyway one of my profesors suggested washing whole lettuce(sp?) leaves leaving them whole a putting them in the cage so as he played with them he would get a "shower" he loved it!!!!!!!!!!! Just don't stand too near unless u want a shower 2

We started misting Makena using a spray bottle since he was a chick as to get him used to water. I know it's a lifelong "trait" to be able to bath them, so we started young. Sometime he doesn't WANT to get wet while watching us take showers, but after we start misting him with the water, he wants to jump down and be completely drenched. He fluffs up all his feathers and sometimes even spreads his wings out as not to miss a spot - SO funny!

If starting to bath them at an older age, I would probably stand a distance with the bottle, as not to produce a negative impact. Spray at the point that the mist almost fades to nothing (i.e don't spray with the bottle right in front of them.) Just mist a couple of times to get them used to it, and increase the amount over time (days/weeks) until they get wet - see if eventually they don't start to enjoy it? Hope this helps - g'luck!

MakBath1.jpg

Notice the water on the ceiling!! :pinch:

MakBath2.jpg

makBath3.jpg

MakBath4.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: MakenasDad, at: 2007/10/26 22:28

Well you know I have to add to that....

Makbath.jpg

Had to do some cropping on this shot... only Andrew gets to see the whole thing!!!!

makandI.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread with pictures Chelsea... We are big show offs!!!!!<br><br>Post edited by: Makena, at: 2007/10/26 22:38

Talon hates showers, baths, getting wet.

Beccy, I too, bought one of those bird misters. Talon hated it at first, she would fly off into another room. So I put her in her play cage, and used it on her. She didn't like it, but after she realized it would chase her all over her cage, she sat there, pouting, and gave in. I did that weekly with her, and very quickly, she learned it wasn't so bad. Now I can give her a mist bath on her play perch, and she will still try and go after the end of the hose, but she will stay in one place and take her punishment, as she sees it! :evil:

Some greys love it others hate it :unsure: my two boys are ok with being misted but coco had never been sprayed untill she came to live with me, so she tolerates it.Just keep at it loviechick.It would be a real shame if they had been sprayed as a punishment as you said, why people do this i will never know !