NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aspergilus -- please share your stories

Phoenix4ever

Hi everyone,

My name is Kortney and my fiancé and I are facing what seems to be Aspirgillus in our little 5-month-old African Grey, named Phoenix. She is at the vetrenarian getting the endoscopy right now to determine the extent of the illness. I've never been so attached to an animal before and it is breaking my heart to see my little best friend go through this. If anyone else can offer words of wisdom or advice, it would be so much appreciated.

Right now she is at the point where she is quiet all day, ruffled and yawning much too often, probably trying to clear her trachea, which was very inflammed the last time the doctor checked. We had everything done and the Aspergillus test actually came back negative, but that is sometimes the case when it comes to this disease. She was given anti-fungal and antibiotics for 2 weeks when we were fighting what the doc thought was simply an infection. She got better for about 5 days then relapsed and is back to being quiet. She still has a healhty appetite and lets us know when she wants something, even in her weak voice.

Has anyone had a bird come out of this? I'm looking for light and honesty and we go forward with whatever little Phoenix has.

We are first-time bird owners, and we are also weighed heavily with guilt for all the ignorance we had going into this. There is much more an African Grey needs to stay healthy and we wish we would have done so much more and read so many more books. Please pray for her an offer any advice you can...

Thank you,

Kortney

Hello Kortney and welcome to the forum, even though it is presently a serious event. I hope the endoscopy comes out with some positive news. The vet will give more thorough information and a plan afterwards. I hope you keep this updated so we and others will know as well. I hope to hear from you when you have the updated information. :)

Edited by danmcq

I want to thank you all for your amazing support, prayers and good wishes. What an amazing bunch of Grey lovers :) Phoenix has been diagnosed with a rather advanced stage of Aspergillus, but we're going to fight through it. She is on the best medicine possible and is being nublized twice a day with F10 and an additional anti-fungal medication. Thanks for the reference to the post! We're going to be relentless in fighting this, because losing her or letting her go is not an option.

@BailysPapa -- I want to first comend you for being an amazing person for taking in Greys from hoarding situations. It takes a big heart and the patience of a saint to do that. How advanced were your cases and what was the treatment plan like? I would love to hear your experiences...

Again thank you so much. I'll keep you all updated :)

It's Greyt to hear your in it to win it. Phoenix will be forever thankful for your loving care and devotion. Alex, Dr. Irene Pepperbergs grey had Aspergillus and over came it with the same treatments you describe. So it is certainly not a death sentence when caught early and treated. In fact, one Day Alex was left in the nebulizer chamber past the 10 minutes or so he had become used to and he started tapping on the door of the chamber yelling Pay Attention, Pay Attention One of the vet assistants walked by, heard Alex and let him out. :)

Best wishes and prayers for Phoenix continuing.

Kortney, I have nothing to add to the wisdom stated in the above posts, except for my heartfelt best wishes for a full recovery for your little Phoenix. Certainly, this is a worrisome if not frightening time for you, and Inara and I are sending as much positive energy as possible through the air waves and if we could send hugs and beaks we would!

Hang in there! Continue with the antibiotic treatment, watch the appetite, hydration and droppings. Hydration is extremely important, as well as encouraging bird to conserve energy. Keep stimulus low, but snuggling if you can do so. If bird is breathing fast, not drinking.... to the ER. Birds dehydrate quickly, if breathing fast, that means they are compensating for oxygen versus carbon dioxide ratio. Text me at 585-944-8676 If you are worried! Nancy