NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to get him out

greylover0

He's comfortable and secure in his home. You have to show him that the world outside his cage is fun and safe. Do you have something like a playgym? Or Tree perch? When you get him out do you play with him? Or cuddle with him? He needs to know that he can enjoy being outside his home/nest. Eventually his intelligent curiosity will provoke him to explore, but, you have to show him that it's a good thing to do.

When we first got Escher treats are what got him out if his cage for the first month. Getting him back in his cage was not a problem but if you put your hand in his cage without a treat he would bite. Then he decided to come out on his own. He would climb out and on top we then had to wait til he decided to fly off before we could pick him up and interact with him. This went on for about three months. During that time I would give him treat through the bars of his cage and give head scratches I eventually worked up to opening the cage door and giving him scratches. When I'd open the cage he'd immediately put his head down for scratches. One day when I reached in he picked up his foot and climbed on my finger to come out. That was about two months ago. Now, as soon as I open his cage door he picks up his foot. We have not been bitten for reaching into his cage for months now. He gets all excited to come out and be with us.

judygram had an excellent point! Birds can be very terriitorial regarding their cage. I never put my hand inside their cages. I opened the door, let them climb on the door or play gym in front of cage, then worked on stepup, step down.We also as a family, played board games in front of Sophie's cage, or read books to her. She loves poems.Dr. Seuss was her favorite, and remains her favorite to this day.She climbed down to us during the game of "Trouble". She soooo wanted to pop that bubble! LOL. She just climbed up after two days, had to get passed around to whom ever's turn it was to " pop the bubble!" She has been stepping up to all of us ever since. Nancy