NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Romo is making me nuts!

debstein

He only wants seeds to eat and he will eat some veggies. He will not eat the pellets or the soak/cook - I am only feeding the stuff he was weaned on, but now he won't touch the pellets or the cooked mixture, and eats fresh broccoli and grapes, but that's about it. I have tried not giving the seed and only providing the "good" food - he just doesn't eat. I've moistened the pellets with juice - no go. He won't eat squash, sweet potatoes, apples, green beans, carrots, greens, the list goes on and on. I've tried spoon feeding, warming foods up for him, but he wasn't interested at all.

I've served myself a bowl of pellets, and munched on them while playing keep away with Romo - once I finally got him determined to have some, he spit it out and looked at me like - I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE EATING THIS STUFF! :ohmy:

I've ordered free sample packs of Harrisons, Roudybush, Pretty Bird, Zupreem, and a few others. This morning I ordered a variety pack of beak appetit after reading about it on several lists.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!:)

Deb & Romo - the fussy grey!

Hi Deb,

Boy, it sure sounds like you have tried everything most would recommend.

The only additional thing I can think of, would be to remove all the food bowls after he has finished eating. Then when you know he's hungry, only place the pellets in for around 25 minutes or so.

You know how it is when your hungry, things you normally might not try start looking good. Once sampled, he may decide it's not so bad after all.

I am sure others will have some good ideas also. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/10/26 17:46

Will he eat birdie bread, or scrambled egg? I give my guys scrambled egg fortified with red palm oil, frozien veggies, and small bird pellets. Its as if they don't notice the pellets. Beckette and the "G" boys both love birdie bread,, and spend hours reducing it to crumbs, and I put pumpkin , dried cranberries, raisins, freeze dried veggies, chopped apple etc etc , along with flaxseed, wild rice, oatmeal in it, along with anything else I have on hand. I call it my whatever bread.

had to giggle about the expression on Romo's face after trying the pellets. I have received a few of those in the last couple of years, especially since Beckette was on a purely seed diet before me. In two years I have got Beck eating scrammbled egg, birdie bread, mash, oatmeal( maybe- seems that most of it goes into cement on hte cage!), occasionally baked potato, and a bit of organic baby food veggies over the birdie bread. And even though you aren't supposed to I have had the best sucess at getting her to try something new by leaving it in her cage all day.

I gave all the guys fresh corn-on-the-cob today, and you would have thought I wanted them to ingest poison.!Fussy buggers!

Persistance would seem to be the key, and good luck:P

I have a picky eater too. I called &/or emailed the places for the free samples that someone was nice enough to post. I got them in about a week & Radar loves them. I also got a sample from Krazy Korn & he seems to like it best. It has nuts, noodles, apples, cinnamon, ect. You might want to give it a try. Good Luck!

Hi, This is a problem I don't have so I really can't comment. Ying Mo eats everything but pellets. He hates them but it doesn't worry me because he happily eats every thing else. I would say mostly fruit and veg, I give him peanuts and some sunflower seeds as treats. He always has a seed mix in his pot but doesn't bother with it if anything else is there. Have you tried sprouting some seed for him, Ying Mo is crazy for that... regards

After I posted, I cooked some oatmeal, grated an entire apple in it, added a little cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin, and some chopped pecans. When it cooled, I served myself some and kept it away from Romo until he just couldn't stand it any more! And he ate it! Yeah, I felt like the kid on the old Life cereal commercial! He likes it, Hey Mikey!:woohoo: :woohoo:

So, now I have something healthy that he likes, I'm going shopping this afternoon and maybe I can find something else. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I haven't sprouted anything yet, what seeds do you sprout?

And where do I find a recipe for birdy bread? That sounds like something I could disguise some ground-up pellets in........anybody got a recipe?