NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello!

zitty

Hi,

Im Marc and I have a congo called pepper who is about 17 years old.

I have had him/her for about 12 years. My main reason for joining is to learn more about their temprement. One day he can be the cuddliest thing, I can stroke under the wings, hold the beak and cuddle him and the next day he wont even step up onto me without trying to bite.

He has a play stand in the living room which he loves, and a cage upstairs in which he sleeps and spends his day in whilst im at work. have a humidifier running next to the cage throughout the day and night, give plenty of toys and forraging tools, daily diet of fresh fruit, veg, nuts and high quality pellets... even has its own dvd player and collection of cartoons....

id just like a bit of consistency, but im unsure where to go from here.

Thanks for any help in advance!..

20130918_120405.jpg

First day he stepped onto his perch... it has toys and willow sticks attached to it now

20130918_150015.jpg

Welcome Marc and thanks for the intro and nicephotos of Pepper. He is a good looking Congo.

Greys do have their mood swings, especially adult greys. As you described, some days they want more up close and personal attention and others they just want to chill, maybe play with toys or on stands etc. and do not really wish any hands on interaction. Congratulations on having from I can ascertain at this point, a perfectly normal grey. :)

It sounds like you already have a good handle on reading his body language and know how to avoid a bite due to seeing it coming. One thing I do know from experience with my grey, is sometimes you can somehow slight them in their mind and they have an attitude for part of or all that day. Sometimes I must really think about what I or my wife may have done that caused it. Other days when he just wishes to chill, there is no reason other than he just wants to be in the area with us and that's all. :)

I am positive others will chime in here to with comments on this.

Hello Marc and welcome to our family.

Pepper is a good looking Cag and he probably shares a similar temperament to some of us humans as we all have our good days and our bad days so just go with the flow. He was approximately 5 years old when you got him so he had already developed some habits or characteristics that may be playing a role in how he deals with each day one way or another and I doubt there is much you can do about it but provide him with what he needs and from what you have described he is getting that and more.

One thing I will mention is some greys if they don't get enough sleep they can be cranky so be sure he goes to bed early enough for him to get at least 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Its nice to know its quite normal for them to behave like this, I see pics and videos of other parrots getting close to their owners, assume theyre like it all the time and wonder if it something im doing wrong!

I read they need alot of sleep, but this is something im struggling with. Im up most morning s about 6:30 for work and our dressing room is also Peppers bedroom. The main reason for him being in there is he likes to look out of the window to see what goes on outside (thinking extra stimulate for when im not there) and it gives me a good opportunity to interact with him before I leave for work (he usually sits on top of the shower when im washing (he likes the humidity there).

but if I was to put him to bed to aim for 10 hours sleep It would need to be around 8 o clock. Which leaves only a few hours each night with me.

an alternative ive been thinking of is moving him into the office (no body goes there in the mornings) and setting up a uv lamp and humidifier on a timer so it goes off at about noon? He would get about 12-14 hours sleep and have less time to stand around being bored .

He despises baths... it doesnt seem to matter how I approach it stresses him right out.

so ive tried to add humidity with the humidifier and he comes and sits on top of the shower every morning, is this enough?

20131017_085540.jpg

ive started putting him to bed religiously at 9. Its still too early to notice a difference though

What a gorgeous CAG Pepper is! Love his rope perch, by the way. In my experience (as others have mentioned also) our companions have rhythms and have days and times when they don't feel like socializing up close and personal, but do enjoy just being near us.

Sleep really is very important as has been discussed. A possible solution may be to leave his primary cage where it is, and to get him a smaller sleep cage to put into your office for his sleep hours. Make it cozy with coop cups that have water and dry food so that if he feels the need for a nibble or drink before sleep he can indulge.

My own gal, HRH Inara, is ready for sleep no later than 7:15, and a bit earlier now that the days are getting shorter. Even though my husband gets up at about 6-ish, Inara waits until about 7 before stirring. She also, as my husband has noticed, doesn't stir until she hears me get up.

Sounds like Pepper is spot on for a happy, healthy, and well loved guy!

Looking forward to getting to know you both better,

Inara's Human

May as well turn my intro page into a mini blog :)

Reading the forum suggested having the cage in a corner to give the bird a feeling of security. Peppers cage is a corner piece, but he was residing in the upstairs dressing room infront of the window in the middle of the room. He seemed to like looking outside and that was pretty much the main reason for him being there.

I have now moved him into the office and rearranged my furniture to give him some space. He doesnt appear to be at all fazed by the move, suggesting to me he prefers to have a corner over being in the other room. This room is also alot smaller and alot easier to get humidity up.

Plus his sleeping now has a proper regular pattern. Before I would put him away at 9pm but always disturb him at 6am when I would get ready for work as we shared that room. Now all my girlfriend needs to do before work is open his curtains around 7.30-8am and turn his cartoons on, finally a way of getting at least 10 hours sleep time for him. And ive started to take more time off and go in later on some mornings so 5 days of the week he gets up to 14 hours sleep :)

Not sure wether to get rid of that plant or wether he will have fun tearing it apart though....

20131019_183735.jpg

Getting tempted at a second bird at this point, something a bit more easy going and cuddly... a friend wants to rehome his cockatoo, I think I could give it a better place to be, and I see they love a good cuddle. I just worry if Pepper will get jealous even if he wont let me cuddle him himself?

Oh and here is a pic of my dog Simba, dog ownership feels like a breeze compared to parrots! He is very tolerant of Pepper and has never been anything other than cautious around him :)

IMG_20131018_212440.jpg

Edited by zitty

Cockatoos can be very loud but yes most are cuddly, they don't call them Velcro birds for nothing, I would think long and hard about taking in a too, research and gather as much information as you can before you make that decision.

I can't tell what kind of plant that is but you should find out if it is a safe one for him to be eating or tearing up, some houseplants are toxic to birds.

Simba is a cutie for a dog and its so good they get along but still supervision is needed when they are out together.

Loved the pics! Just remember that birds have their own personalities. I'm just saying that with my luck, I'd get the only 'too in creation that didn't like to cuddle or didn't want to with me. No guarantees there. As to the jealousy, they do get jealous. Timber starts trying to get my attention when I pick up one of the cats, or even if I'm just talking to someone in the same room with him.

Never would leave the dog and bird alone. But we did come home one day to find he had escaped and spent the whole day wondering around with the dog.... both worrying and a little reassuring.

I understand what you are saying regarding the cockatoo and perhaps they are more suited to being a in a single bird family. I just know that at the moment it isnt getting any attention at all where as i get my bird out of his cage before i get into the shower and get him back out before taking my shoes off when im home... I have a perfect scenario of pepper on his perch (9/10 he prefers that to sitting on me) a cockatoo on my lap and the dog on my ladys.

I would hope they would get along enough to make a positive change in both their daily alone time whilst people work. This I understand is completly pot luck though right? Pepper does get jealous when I play with the dog, but rather than want the attention himself he just becomes more bity... I swear he just wants me to sit infront of him to do his bidding...

As said though, im still undecided.

Edited by zitty

Never would leave the dog and bird alone. But we did come home one day to find he had escaped and spent the whole day wondering around with the dog.... both worrying and a little reassuring.

I understand what you are saying regarding the cockatoo and perhaps they are more suited to being a in a single bird family. I just know that at the moment it isnt getting any attention at all where as i get my bird out of his cage before i get into the shower and get him back out before taking my shoes off when im home... I have a perfect scenario of pepper on his perch (9/10 he prefers that to sitting on me) a cockatoo on my lap and the dog on my ladys.

As said though, im still undecided.

You can never guarantee that two birds will be compatible. My Sun and TAG are great out together - not the best of friends, but never fight either. But others on here have the same combination and they can not be let out together. But, Suns are cuddly. They love to nuzzle into your neck and warm up in the shirt you are wearing.

Oh boy, cockatoos are for just the right family. They are the best cuddlers but with that being said, they scream if not being cuddled every moment! lol. The decible level has been compared to airplanes.

I have one Macaw who cuddles hubby, and one that only lets me cuddle him and of 3 greys, only Gabby who is in her 20's will let my husband cuddle her. The others are independant little cusses! Gus (U-2) will let anyone cuddle him, but again, we pay the price when we try to put him back on the stand. So as far as suggestions, every bird is different and i do not think type of bird matters too much. It is all in how they are raised. I have read where parakeets are loving but the ones i have had just flew around and chirped.

As I read your post, I tend to think that your grey is actually really happy and normal. I will say first off that my CAG Gracie has never wanted scritches or cuddles. She is a hands-off bird for the most part. I used to feel something might be wrong, but I now know and accept the fact that this is simply her normal personality. With an adult bird like yours, I would not try to change him. Those grumpy moments may be coming because your grey may be feeling imposed upon. Try your best to read his body language and always ask if he wants affection before approaching. I used to think cuddly was important, but I no longer do.

A suggestion with regard to the cockatoo:

Make sure that it has been seen recently by an avian Vet and that it has a clean bill of health. Then have its current person bring it over, and you handle it in front of your CAG, visit with it or a few hours, and see how that goes. If that goes well, then see about boarding it with you for a full week and see how *that* goes for everyone concerned. It's better to have a trial period with many species of rehomed companions rather than just jumping in cold. That way if things don't work out, no one is "stuck," as it is (as you know) a lifetime commitment. It's amazing, though, just how resilient birds and other creatures are when we allow them to be and they often have their own systems for accepting/rejecting people, pets, and other birds.