NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pipers Wing Update / Piper & Talon's Vet Visit

Talon

Our cockatiel with his stub of a wing has been in pain and having problems with occasional bleeding on his stub wing. Of course this happens on the weekend when the vet is closed.... yesterday & today he seems fine, but I have made an appointment with the vet for him & Talon for tomorrow afternoon. I want to have Talon checked for that one spot where she is missing a few feathers. I think it was because Nilah bit her and the feathers seem to be growing back, but I want them both to be looked at. I will let you know what the vet says. We are especially anxious to find out what really is wrong with Pipers wing stub...:(

Update: We got home from the vet a little while ago. Talon was given a full check up, gram stain test, weight was 320 grams. I will get her gram stain results in the morning. As for her chest, he said it looked like the scuffle that she had with Nilah was the bite she got from Nilah, there is new feathers growing in. He said it wasn't that she plucked at all....phew! As for her feet, he did say, her right foot looked like she had plucked the feathers somewhat, not as bad on her right one. He thought, maybe she was stressed over something, or that sometimes when their hormones are acting up, they may pluck small feathers and use them for bedding to make a nest. He said to make sure all boxes were gone, discourage any nesting opportunities that she may have. He seems to think she's not obsessed over it as there were new feathers growing in. So overall, I'm happy with her visit.

As for Piper.....his wing is a mess. When we got home from work to get him, there was blood around his cage. And we noticed a bald spot under his wing. The vet looked at him and apparently, he had some kind of trauma to his wing at some point in his life prior to us getting him. His wing was a stub, no flight feathers, which he says is what protects their wing bone from getting injured when they fall. Piper does fall off his cage a lot when he gets startled or loses his balance. The bone is sticking out, looks infected from falling and it bleeding, and the tissue is swollen. It is rubbing on the spot underneath and that's why there is a bald spot and red as well. So....we have 2 choices, one is to keep him in his cage all the time to protect him.....NOT an option, he loves to sit on the top of his cage. Or my idea.....tying pillows around his cage so if he falls, they will catch him and he can climb back up to the top!

He is on baytrill, lacto, and we have some topical cream called Soother Plus, a nontoxic topical antimicrobial cream to put on twice day. Hopefully we can heal him back to a happy Piper, and now we will take all precautions to keep him from falling.

Edited by Talon

Well it was good news for Talon but not so for Piper, poor little fella but I think you have made the best choice because he does love to come out of his cage, you are a good mama to do what it takes to protect him from further harm and I hope he gets to feeling better real soon.

Aw poor little stub wing for Piper. You are so observant and proactive that you caught it early. Great ideas for fixing up his cage area so it lessens the chances for bumping his booboo while he heals. And yes, ouch on the unscheduled "maintenance" fees. If that was for both visits though, I was thinking its less than one annual visit for ours. Glad Talon got a great checkup and that her "kiss" from Nilah is healed and looking good. Its always good to have another set of trained eyes watching over your little ones so while you see the small daily changes, your vet sees the the time lapse version and together you are the very best you can be.

I was able to snatch a quick picture of Pipers wing. It's hard to tell, but mostly you can see the underneath and his stub is on the upper left. The feathers have really been rubbed off from the bone. Although the bleeding has stopped and it appears to be healing, the lack of feathers seems to have gotten worse.

20131020_110442_zps7f766b65.jpg

So, I have decided to stop putting the cream on it. He has lost most of all the feathers and his skin is raw. I think it has made what was a quarter size bald spot into the entire underneath of his body where his wing lays and underneath his wing completely raw. It isn't bleeding, but is far worse than before we put the cream on. Our vet said if it gets worse to discontinue the cream. Now we will just watch and see how the healing process goes at this point. HE still has a few more days of bactril..:( If things don't get better, I will bring him back to the vet.

Okay, so my daughter and I decided no more cream for Pipers wing. It doesn't bleed, but iit looks way worse. In the beginning, it was a quarter size under his wing where his stub rubbed against it, it was raw and bleeding a bit. After using the cream 2 x a days since last tues night, this is what it looks like. You can see his wing muscle, it's all exposed.....awful. He is acting better Tho......

WARNING! THESE PICS ARE GRAPHIC.

20131021_200351_zpsf4c90f6f.jpg

20131021_200357_zpsc2d71c44.jpg

I'm afraid he would just pick at it to get it off. He does like to exercise his wings several times a day. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try Nd email the vet pics to,or row if I can. I hate to,put him thru the trauma unless he feels it's necessary.