NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for some advice on my first parrot?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new and not sure which forum I should post this question in...

I have wanted an African Grey since I was 5 and met one in a pet store. My mom refused to let me have a bird of any kind in our home because my sister had a cat. Now that I am living on my own I think it is time to get a parrot. The problem is, I want an african grey but I have no experience with birds other than taking care of a friends cockatiel a few times while she was out of town. After doing a lot of research on greys I understand they would not make a great first parrot.

I decided to look into parrots better suited for beginners and have fallen in love with the green cheek conure, but I still want an african grey. I am wondering if I were to get a green cheek conure now, and then later down the road get an african grey when I am ready but can they get along?

Obviously, I would never try to house them in the same cage but would they be able to be out of their cages at the same time without fear of the grey harming the conure (or the other way around)?

I don't want to get a conure if it means I can never get an african grey but at the same time I am worried I do not have the experience to get a grey right now.

Should I chance it and get a conure now and hope they get along? Should I chance getting an african grey now instead? Any advice would be great! I just want to give my new bird the best life possible!

I only have one bird so can't offer much advice. However, from what I have read from others on the forum, whether birds get along or not is dependent on their personalities and other circumstances. In other words, these is no way of knowing if two birds will get along or not until you have both. Others with experience will come along and give you some input.

Whatever you decide, do your research and preparation first. I rehomed my grey with no research first. I have owned various animals all of my life, and didn't realize the challenges and expense of bird ownership. Things have worked out, but would have been easier for me and for Timber if I had been better prepared.

Greys, for the most part, need a lot of time and attention. Take a good look at how much time and effort you are willing to put into having a parrot before taking the leap. I don't know if the same is true for conures.

Good luck and God bless :)

Hi MightyMouz. I do not see why you feel you need to get another kind of parrot first. My suggestion to you would be to get a weaned 4 to 5 or more month old grey. One that has no baggage or bad habits or bad attitude. My first parrot is a Timneh African Grey. She is now 5 years old. I also have a Blue Front Amazon (5) and a Congo African Grey (2). They do come out of their cages together and they do get along. Greys do like to be with their flock and if you become a parront, you will be the flock. If you will have the time to spend with your grey and let it out of its cage to be with you, I do not see why there should be a problem. It is true that African Greys are very intelligent and like to interact but I believe it is quality time that counts. You need to read some of the threads in the grey forum, especially the ones about greys interacting into a family and with children and boyfriends and girlfriends. They can become jealous and they sometimes do not like certain people, animals and other things. I see from your post that you are a young person, just starting out. Will you have the time to spend with a new grey or will you be involved in "exploring life". Greys need attention, do you have the time.

Birds, like most pets, take a bit of understanding and attention. Greys are very intelligent, and like children, need stimulation, control, and guidance. If you want a Grey, and feel you can & will put in the effort, get one. Just like any other animal, or children, for that matter, you will learn as you go. Most people don't know how to raise children, but have them anyway, and learn how to do it, by doing it. If you have the desire, the love, and the willingness to do whatever is necessary, get one. They can be a handful, but, they are also such a wonderful addition to our lives. I have been a guardian to birds for over 45 years, and have had all kinds, and different amounts at any one time. As a confident, educated, and loving, flock leader, I have always made it work. Sometimes, individuals had to be let out on their own, or monitored more carefully than others, but, in 45 years, and dozens of birds, there has never been a serious problem. And I have rescued some serious behavior problem feathered children. But, I wouldn't change a moment for anything in the world.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new and not sure which forum I should post this question in...

I have wanted an African Grey since I was 5 and met one in a pet store. My mom refused to let me have a bird of any kind in our home because my sister had a cat. Now that I am living on my own I think it is time to get a parrot. The problem is, I want an african grey but I have no experience with birds other than taking care of a friends cockatiel a few times while she was out of town. After doing a lot of research on greys I understand they would not make a great first parrot.

I decided to look into parrots better suited for beginners and have fallen in love with the green cheek conure, but I still want an african grey. I am wondering if I were to get a green cheek conure now, and then later down the road get an african grey when I am ready but can they get along?

Obviously, I would never try to house them in the same cage but would they be able to be out of their cages at the same time without fear of the grey harming the conure (or the other way around)?

I don't want to get a conure if it means I can never get an african grey but at the same time I am worried I do not have the experience to get a grey right now.

Should I chance it and get a conure now and hope they get along? Should I chance getting an african grey now instead? Any advice would be great! I just want to give my new bird the best life possible!

Read this____

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?200425-The-african-grey-have-i-done-my-homework&p=293896#post293896

• Haha 1

Thank you all for your advice! I was worried I was being selfish for getting a grey after so many people advised against them as a first bird. I know I have a lot to learn first, and don't intend on getting a parrot until I am fully ready and as educated as possible! I finish college in February, so it definitly won't be until after then so I have enough time for my new bird.

luvparrots: I understand your concern for my young age (22, by the way) but I assure you I have done more than enough "life exploring" and am ready for a more peaceful life. :P

dave007: Thank you for the link it was very informative!

Welcome! As others have said/ as long as you do your research and are ready for the commitment a Grey will need, I see no reason why a Grey wouldn't make a good first parrot. As you can see from my picture I have a conure and a Grey who do get along well enough to be out of their cages at the same time. Once you are settled into your chosen profession I think you will be ready for your first spoiled brat! LOL

Hello Mightymous and welcome to our family.

Most of us would agree that its better to start with a smaller type bird but if you do your research and can provide what is needed to make your bird healthy and happy then by all means get your grey when you are ready. I started out with a sun conure then added my grey, you just have to know what you are getting into and if you read, read and read some more then you will be about as prepared as you can get without actual experience.

Dave made an excellent thread on this very subject.

If there is a parrot rescue organization near by, maybe consider volunteering on a regular basis for a while to get some experience handling parrots. Not only can you get hand on experience with the birds, but you'll have experienced parrot caretakers to give you advice and such.

You may even find that one of the parrots picks you for his/her new owner.

• Haha 1

Hi MightyMouz and welcome to the grey forum.

When it comes to getting a bird, A grey, cockatiel, amazon or any other species of parrots it is much easer today than it was years ago.

There is much more information at your finger tips with computers and forums like this to help you when you are in need of advice on what to do.

Read all you can on greys or what ever other parrots may interest you to find out what is in the best interest for you and the parrot you are thinking about.

If it`s a grey you want than this is the place as the membership will tell you all about the good, the bad and the ugly and what you can do to make a lifetime companionship the best it can be.

You are asking yourself some really good questions. I too saw a grey more than 35 years ago in a pet store and was captivated by her intelligence and interactions. Nothing ever came close for me, I did the same as you are thinking of doing. I got a little red bellied parrot thinking she would satisfy my longing for an African grey. Java is a wonderful little parrot. She has more in common with her behavior and companionship as a smaller version of a grey. Her previous generations were even from the same area of Africa. All it did was make me want for a grey that much more. You know your heart best. Think about the reasons you are deciding against a grey at this time. Are you going to change your life by going off to college or something that you couldn't take a grey with you? There are lots of people on the forum with several different parrot species and each one has its wonderful attributes.

Here's my opinion - lots of people advocate getting a 'starter bird' which they then point to birds like cockatiels, budgies or conures to define. We have nine parrots. They all need the same attention and care. I don't think of any of them as 'starter' or being easier to care for or for a beginner. The cockatiel (which is probably one of the most touted as 'beginner' or 'starter' birds) is probably our biggest problem child of them all, and was the one to get deathly ill and rack up a huge avian vet bill. You seem very sensible and intelligent and are putting a lot of thought into your decision. The main thing is to do your research. Know what you are getting in to. If it is a Grey you really want, I would recommend learning as much as you can about Greys and then going for it. They are, like all birds, intelligent and magnificent creatures. Not all will talk. But they all have unique personalities. I haven't met one I don't like yet. Best of luck to you and I hope you find just the right baby to share your life with.

• Haha 1

Somehow, I missed all the posts except the first one when I replied yesterday. Good for you getting through college and preparing for a lifetime companion! One thing I did before getting our first baby African grey was to read "The Parrot Problem Solver" by Barbara Heidenreich. In her book she describes some of the issues that come up by inadvertently "training" a parrot to have some unsustainable expectations of us. LOL. You know yourself better than any one else and you are researching and being very considerate of the long term effect of adding to your family. Dave's link is a good one for some of the factors that will be part of our lives when we live with an exquisitely intelligent creature such as an African grey. When your eyes are open to the pitfalls and hard work involved and you have the desire and commitment to pursue it anyway, you are one of the many forum members who have learned the rewards are as great as the challenges. Good luck to you as you sort through your thoughts and thank you so very much for taking time and making this a lifetime commitment and not just an impulse.

I think Greys are easier than Conures. bold statement but my experience with Conures shows me a little bird that believes it can run the world stsrting with your household. A beautiful colorful small package with a huge personality, a piercing voice and the will to bite as needed to train the humans properly. Greys seem to bit more sensitive yes, more willing to observe than control and able to manipulate us rather than brow beat. Both can be fun to live with and each bird has it's own personality and approach to life so meet more birds and people who live with them. As someone else suggested see if you can volunteer at a Rescue or Sanctuary to get more of a feel for both species. The organization can use the help and it can only further you knowledge and bird skills.