NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Deworming Parrot?

jgerardo

I took Luna to the vet for his scab. We got antibiotics and inflammatory medicaiton which I have been giving him.

Now the doc says we need to have him dewormed and she gave him injections because apparently he has paraistes. I feel like this place is just ripping me off. Every visit turns to $100. I feel like that is too much medication for a three month old grey.

I don't know what to do because i know the importance of vet care. I spoke to breeder and he said deworm only if necessary. He also said to let him build up an immune system not to count so much on meds. I am a newbie for african greys so I want to give him the best care. What are your thoughts on this? Please help.

I have no experience with this, sorry. Is the vet a certified avian vet? Sounds like a lot to me for a baby also, sometimes our gut feelings are right. I've never heard of worms in parrots, I'm no vet or a parrot expert, I just have one parrot but I do read a lot one forums and online. I've heard of worms in chickens though. I wonder why he thinks Luna has worms? Did he tell you?

Birds who are in contact w/the outside world can get parasites. Some owners w/aviaries & breeders in particular do scheduled deworming because of this. But it's not very common for a "normal" healthy house pet parrot to have problems w/parasites.

Your baby's had some problems, though. The earlier ones were more obvious. This would be unusual. But if Luna got in contact w/infected bird poop, it's possible he was infected at say the breeder's. And if Luna continues to be diagnosed w/issues, it could be the breeder not the vet, is where the fault actually lies.

It wouldn't be the first time. So you might to try to keep an open mind & do the best you can to determine if you need a new vet or if you need to be after the breeder about compensation for an unhealthy fid. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...