NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

SNAKE Alert!

I notice there is a baby snake around the corner this morning. I wonder does parrot attract this cold-blooded crawling creature? Last time, I had a Sun Conure and there was a baby snake too at the garden. I am planning to put some sulphur around the corner, and obviously not at the grey playstand or cage. Is it ok to do so? Any advice?

919129_10151860117092225_1827274009_o.jpg

Edited by Danny Kwok

Yes... a very short snake. That morning I woke up and saw there was this little creature on the floor at the corner right where I used to put the pay stand for my grey. I never notice that and wonder how come there was something there when I had just cleaned the place last night. When I took a closer look, OMG, it was a baby snake. I used to put my grey outside as he loves to see sky and other birds. Somemore it's easier for me to clean up the place, as you know they do make a mess most of the time. I am planning to put sulphur around the area to avoid snake appear again. I am wondering is it ok to place near the grey? Will it be as poison as teflon?

Snakes will eat size appropriate eggs & birds if they can. I'm w/you,. I wouldn't be taking any chances.

50/50 oil of cinnamon & clove might be a safer temporary deterrent. But apparently any snake repellents fade pretty quickly once they're exposed to air. The best thing is to make the area around the house unattractive. Keep any type of vegetation that would be a good hiding place away from the foundation, fill cracks, put up small gauge wire, etc. They can also be drawn to water especially if you're in a drought area.

But little snake, "big" parrot...? Hopefully this was just a coincidence. And parrots are badder than they look btw. Once we had a large field mouse we could not catch. One night, apparently, it made the mistake of looking for take out in Phenix' cage. I found it dead in the water dish the next morning. :P I was pretty impressed, in a grossed out kinda way!

Keep the sulfur away from your bird. Yes, it could harm your bird. The snake probably just wandered in from the garden. Snakes may be attracted by the smell of birds, or bird food, which is the same food as rodents eat, which snakes do search for. There is nothing to worry about with a tiny snake and a big bird. If it was a big snake, then maybe. Snakes do eat birds, but, they cannot eat a bird so many times bigger than themselves.