NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Plastic vs. Wooden Toys

KarahEve

Does anyone else's Grey take preference to plastic or wood toys over the other? Bailey seems intrigued enough by the plastic ones, but only very briefly. Then its back to wooden-type toys. Biggest question being, should I start straying away from buying plastic toys all-together if they don't seem to hold her attention for more than a matter of seconds and then not played with again? Or is a variety best in case she changes her mind?

They are very unique in their preference on toys. I don't have any "toy" that holds Timber's attention for long (well except for his bells). I rotate what I have about every 2 weeks and he'll mess with them some, but not all that much. His favorite "toy" is a cardboard box or paper sack. It is what it is!

My grey and conure both show the following interest levels in various toys:

Wooden - Most interest and time spent chewing on them

Bells - Medium level interest. They love bashing them around several times a day.

Leather - Medium level I tie knots in 1/4 inch 12 inch long strips. They just love untying those knots!

Plastic - Least level of interest - Theybeak them some then go chew wood

Edited by danmcq

Out of all the expensive toys that I've bought over the years for Cosmo, his favorites are bells and frayed ropes. He loves ringing bells, especially the big cow bell that's at the end of his "Oingo-Boingo" (A long, spiraling rope that hangs from the top of his cage). With the frayed ropes, he'll hold the rope in his claw, brush the frayed end on his face and scream at it. :D

~Rick

Cosmo's Cage

Cosmo's Cage.JPG

These intelligent featherheads change their minds about things so often, that I always offer a variety of things to play with. Today's favorite is ignored tomorrow. And then looked for the next day. We do not want our little clowns getting bored, so, a variety of toys is best. My guys always have something to shred, something wooden to chew, something that makes noise, and something like rope. Not to mention anything else I think they might like. No bored birds in my house!

• Sad 1

I had forgotten about leather as Dan mentions. Our little Raven loved leather strips with knots tied in them and also the leather squares/circles etc(for lack of a better description). I need to find a place that sells it because we've take to hanging toys off of the tree with cotton string and leather is a lot safer for that purpose.