NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need help with my new grey

Red

Hi all,

I just had an African grey as a birthday gift and named it kuku. It was the best gift I've ever had! I love African grey parrots.

Kuku is about 2 and a half years and its a congo. The one who got me that gift said the the seller told her it says few words, whistles, and make a dog sound (not a real dog barking, just something like "wow"... More like an owl).

I had it few days ago, and it is aggressive with me, and here is what happened in the past days...

First day I didn't go near him a lot, just spent some time near its small cage.

Second day I opened the cage so that he can walk around and explorer the house. He kept walking around, tried to fly but the feathers were trimmed so he didn't make it that far. He then went under the TV table and stood there all day. At night I tried to get him back to the cage, but as soon as I approached him, he started to growl, when I got closer he screamed and bit me (thank God I was wearing gloves, he did bite real hard). Eventually I cornered it and carried it to the cage while he kept biting the gloves.

Third day I changed his cage with a bigger one and placed him inside by opening the smaller cage and putting it against the bigger one, then I put some sunflower seeds and water.

Fourth day I changed the water and placed more seeds, he ate a lot the other day. Later in the morning I opened the cage and he went out... I thought I would be ready to approach him without getting bitten.. But every time I get near him he stats growling and if I get closer he screams, I stayed near him till he cooled down but I'm not able to touch it or put it back in the cage.

I learned that the owl sound that he make is the first warning and means stay away. The growling and the fluffed feather means okay, your getting to close STAY AWAY! And just before he starts biting he screams.

I'm not sure how to put him back in his cage, how to gain his trust, did he really talk before or the seller was lying to my friend, and will it talk eventually?

Thanks in advance.

At this point you need to leave him in the cage. he is terrified due to suddenly being in a new home, different people, different furniture and also a new cage. Nothing makes sense to him right now and he is going to take time to just set inside the safety of that cage and get comfortable in the new surroundings and people. You will not be close to any outside of cage interaction until you have spent weeks sitting next to the cage interacting with him by talking, just sitting next to it and getting him used to you even changing his water and seed, veggies etc, daily. If you try to rush it, like you have already, it destroys all trust and reenforces his present thought you of being a predator and scary. Just slow way down and show him lots of patience, respect for his space and love. Things will evolve at his speed, not yours. In regards talking, that will not come out at all for a while in a strange and scary environment where he does not presently view you as friend and trusted person. He has no reason to try verbal interaction at this time. The other sad thing is he is a very young grey and going through his terrible two's presently which is most the time not a fun time for the grey owner that has had him since he was a chick. They start expressing their will and rights around that age. Greys on average start talking around 12 to 14 months old.

Welcome by the way. It's GreYt having you here. :)

Edited by danmcq

Thanks a lot for your reply, and I'm honored to a part of this community.

Just an hour ago, my mother hand-fed him mango and he didn't even growl at her! I think the issue was me when I grabbed him and put him in the cage two days ago. Now I know what I did was wrong, I hope I can gain his trust one day.

He's still out of the cage and I'm not sure how to put him back in... I won't enforce him again for sure, I just have to find a right way.

Thanks a lot for your reply, and I'm honored to a part of this community.

Just an hour ago, my mother hand-fed him mango and he didn't even growl at her! I think the issue was me when I grabbed him and put him in the cage two days ago. Now I know what I did was wrong, I hope I can gain his trust one day.

He's still out of the cage and I'm not sure how to put him back in... I won't enforce him again for sure, I just have to find a right way.

You best bet---use a perch--approx 8 to 10 inches. Hold one end and approach him at a very easy pace. Put perch in front of him at a distance of 4 to 5 inches. With you holding the perch at one end, put the other end against the lower part of to claw. Push a bit and he may hop or walk onto the perch. At the beginning time it probley won't work immediately. You need to repeat as many times as it takes. Be gentle with the bird---No Poking. Repeat this until the bird accepts your hand and the perch at the same time. That means he's starting to trust your hand. Eventually, only use the hand. How long does this process? All greys are different and has their own time table. Plus you have to take into consideration his age. There's always quicker success with a 4 mt old grey then with a 2 yr old bird...SO, What's needed is time, patience and doing it regularly.

Edited by Dave007

Hmmm, I hope as the days progress things get easier for you. You might consider the perch as Dave has suggested instead of gloves. Hopefully you have started to talk lots to kuku and just remember patience, it takes time and for many that is more then days its weeks and months to progress. Hang in there :)

Hi Red, I agree with Dan about leaving your new companion in his cage until he really gets used to all that is in his new environment. Birds, especially Greys are very empathetic and are masters at reading body language, and picking up on your anxiety. The more nervous you feel as you approach, the more your buddy will pick up on it. So take a deep breath, relax, move slowly as you approach the cage, and talk softly. Gloves can be really freaky to birds so glad you are giving those up. You've received some other very good advice, also, there is a lot of wisdom in these forums, and it's great while you're just sitting with kuku to read through a lot of the old posts here, especially the "sticky" ones. :)

Here is a really good article, by an Avian Veterinarian,that is well worth reading from start to finish: Stress Reduction for Parrot Companions

You will find in it some good ways to help reduce your new pal's stress, as well as increase bonding between you two. You will have a lifetime with kuku, so all the patience and work you do now, will reap you both wonderful rewards in the years to come. I'm just so delighted for you and kuku, and am cheering you on!

Thanks again,

I successfully put him back to the big cage. He seem relaxed there, I don't think he's bother at all. I used the small cage, I removed the bottom of the cage so it will be big enough, then I put it in front of him and kept pushing it towards him slowing while saying come on kuku, get it... Good boy! Once he went in, I carried it and put it in front of the door of the big cage and he went it. No growling, no screaming!

This morning my mom heard him saying Kuku! :D

I'm guessing that we're making some progress...

Thats him :)

gallery_19655_573_2304.jpg

That was a good way to do it. using items he is familiar with and considers a safe zone. No stress equals progress. It's good to hear he is verbalizing his name now. Nice photo! :)

Inara gave good advice and that link is very informative as well.

Welcome Red. It's good to have you and Kuku in the group. Looking at the picture he is a very fine Grey. I have a few suggestions though. I notice that his perch is a square section. If you think about it Greys spend most of their time in trees and trees have odd shaped branches with round sections. They tend to find these shapes more comfortable to grip with their feet. Have a look at parrot supply shops to see examples. If you have fruit tree wood available it can make great perches and indoor climbs and perches for Kuku. Don't use fig tree wood though or wood loaded with preservatives. Greys love chewing wood so it is important that it is safe. Also have a look at our parrot food recommendation. Sunflower seeds are not a good diet. Fine in small amounts but other real nuts vegetables and fruit like sliced apples without seeds ( apple seeds have small amounts of poison). Absolutely no avocado or chocolate. Both are great for humans and deadly for parrots. Have a look here for the postings about flight and clipping. I think it fair to say that most here prefer to not clip unless there is very a good reason. As a rule flighted Greys are happier and healthier Greys. One final thing. Have your Kuku checked out by an avian vet and if he is not already micro chipped get him chipped. If he ever goes awol a micro chip is the most reliable way to identify your pet.

Please keep posting here. We all love to read each others stories and experiences. Kuku will be with you for a long long time if all works out well and you are both going to have an amazing time getting to know each other. But you must have lots of patience. You already have the love.

Steve n Misty

The stick training for step up is the way I am having to go with our newest. It has been a little over a month now, just to give you a little insight on the time it could take, and Cotay has just begun to touch the stick with her beak. When she would see it she use to fly away from it, so progress after a month to touching it, not stepping up on it. I can not handle her at all but daily will sit with her and talk and sing. I will let her out of her cage but she doesn't come out of her room until daddy gets home to bring her out. Thats okay, she trusts him fully, and we will get there. It took over a year and a half with Gabby, but about a month or so ago she just started to accept me. I get to pet her and i get kisses now. Bongo, after 2 years will still fly away when my husband tries to approach him, it breaks his heart but he still works slowly with him and knows one day it will happen! It is worth the wait and such a good feeling when that ice finally breaks! Don't give up or force the issue with her, she will come around.

Hi Red, thanks for joining us and welcome to you and Kuku. Many of us have been where you are right now, just getting started with a young parrot that is just beginning to know his world and then being rehomed and kind of scared at everything suddenly being different and hard to understand. Just be loving and kind and treat him like you want to be treated and slowly you will see when he is ready for you to come closer. For me to get Miss Gilbert in her cage when she was new and I was as scared as she was is to always feed her in the cage. She would come out for a while, then go back in to eat. Every time she went in on her own, I would praise her and give her an almond in the shell. That helped her understand that good things were coming to her when she went inside. Take your time, as the others have said, this uncertain time will pass and you will become good companions and learn many things from each other.