NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safety hazard

scrohan

I don't know what they are called, but the long spiral rope perches, usually with a bell on the bottom are what I am refering to, attached at the top of the cage. My grey has shredded the upper part of his so that the wire is now exposed for about a foot. I then noticed today that he had some of the strings wrapped loosely around his foot and ankle. I am guessing that before it got to this stage, I should have removed it? Would cutting off all the loose string suffice or should it be removed completely and a new one purchased. He would be lost without it as its were he sits most of the day to play with his bazillion toys. Anyone have this experience?

YES! Talon has gone through a few of them. It is her favorite place to perch, and I have many around the house, some strung from the ceilings, and some turned sideways,and she climbs through them like tunnels. I have had to replace 2 of them in 2 years. I do keep a close eye on them, and cut the strings off as they fray. She too, got stuck in one of the threads with her foot, and got quite frantic. Thank God I was home, or it could have been very tragic.:(

PLEASE replace them immediately. They could get hurt on the wires, and it sounds like the threads are to bare to keep them safely.

I am really blessed to have such an easy going fellow. I put new stuff in his cage constantly and move his cage all over the place and he has no problem with change or new things. I have been doing this since day one because I had heard so much about them being phobic, etc. I figured if change was all he knew, it wouldn't be a big deal. Seems to have worked for him, not that it would for all... Seems the only thing he doesn't like is anyone touching his feet (except me) and the fear of falling, which he actually had before he fell and split his keel. I am not clipping him anymore so I am hoping he will gain confidence and stop crying whenever he thinks he might fall.

I don't use rope perches or toys inside the cage, because Klaus is home alone for 4-5 hours out of the day. I'm afraid he'll get stuck somehow and hurt himself. I have a rope perch on the outside of his cage, though, that he can play on when we're home.