NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Had to dig out the ear plugs

Acappella

Just here to vent. Dorian is driving me crazy with a new sound. I had him outside yesterday and he heard a wild bird cry which has become his new favourite sound. It's loud, shrill, and high, and he's on a fast cycling repeat. So now we're doing the sound extinguishing dance and I have a pounding headache. Sob

Bless your heart. I wonder if it was a threatening sound to him and he is pretending now to be the "predator" to make sure nobody out there comes looking for a little grey bird. Java did that for weeks after hearing a hawk. Of course that doesn't help your headache. Miss Gilbert drives me crazy with the loud obnoxious form of "Maaaaa". Hope you find peace soon.

I figure it's a good illustration to newer parronts that grey ownership is an ongoing challenge/battle of wills. Dorian is using his new sound as his "come to where I am, NOW" sound. Problem is, we can't be in the same space right now because I am painting, so that's ramping up both the volume and the frequency of the sound. We've done the extinguishing dance often enough that he's playing with it. Eg. Make the annoying sound, then make a pretty sound immediately after to see if I reward the nice sound with a response. So now I'm only rewarding nice sounds that occur on their own. Wish me luck, patience, and a refill of my migraine prescription. Lol

I know Ray. In fact it's lucky the bird that came into my life needing rescue was a grey since I know they're considered to be a quiet, possibly the quietest, med-large parrot. My headaches are serious, often ending with me in the emergency room. They have been since before my tween years, and I just turned 47. My heart may long for a Zon, a Too, a B&G (particularly that one), but the logic and the migraine sides of my head say No No No.

The less reaction the noise gets, the sooner it will be replaced. Maybe give him a different new sound to concentrate on. Like a softer, more fun to say sound. I've often felt that the reason so many birds like to say "Poop", is because of how it feels to say it. I realize they don't use vocal chords like us. But, if you think of how we say "poop", it is a fun word to say. Maybe try something like gurgling, or bubbling sounds.