NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need opinions on new bird friendly furniture

scrohan

We have decided to purchase new furniture for the family room. I want to buy something that is durable enough to withstand bird pecking and pooping, along with a cat who has claws. So far I have considered leather, which would be easy to wipe bird poo off, but could be ruined by a cat sharpening his claws on it. I also worry about the poo I dont catch that might break down the leather before it dries. I have considered slip covered furniture made of blue jean material, which should be very durable, much tougher for cat claws and removable for machine washing. Does anyone have a type of furniture that is just awesome for bird people. Also, knowing how toxic everything is for birds, what about the substance sprayed on the material to protect from stains. The furniture guy assures me it is completely safe for the birds, but he has no birds...I guess it is sprayed and dries in the factory so it is done long before it is even shipped to the store and I guess it doesnt emit any fumes of any kind. All comments would really be appreciated.

I would not buy any funiture treated with anything. I have heard of a number of people that have lost all their birds within hours of bringing stuff treated into the house. This goes for the carpet as well. The one story that I read said the woman asked the sales guy about the stain protector being safe and he told her there would not be a problem and all three of her parrots died. I would be more worried about the cat claws than the poop because you can always steam clean any poop stain, but claw marks are forever. I have a canvas material on the chair in the bird room and it does great with both poop and cats.

Oh yeah...I would not recommend wood or wicker. The wood would get chewed on and wicker can snag toes and nails in it. I have wicker furniture on my front porch and my grey snags his toes in it so if you didn’t notice a toe caught in it he/she could really hurt himself.

I would agree with Bmustee and Judy. Just go for something untreated that is dark or has a pattern. Unfortunately I don't think there is a such thing as bird/cat friendly furniture... Just don't be too disappointed the first time one of your angels decides to break in your new purchase :P :P :P :P!!!

Well, its great to see you all have a sense of humor! I really liked the wooden bench. Of course, we all know the birds would eventually eat it, so... I think I will go with the slip covers and hope for the best. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and pointers.

Ya know, my furniture was treated, and my birds play on it all the time, but then again it was treated like 5 years ago...loooong before rhe birds came so I wonder if it's worn off, gee I didn't even think of that I'm a bad mama!

I would think Microfiber suede would be fine, my couch is made out of what feels and looks like courdoroy and I just love it!

Guest briansmum

i got leather simply because an wayward poop wouldnt soak into the material or leave stains.. and it doesn't. so providing it's not treated i'm all for leather, though as you said it's not really cat friendly.. you could just get some big cushions for sneaky claws :)

Guest briansmum

denim does sound like the best option. you could always get the furniture you REALLY want, and then get the slips made to fit them. extra cost i know, but at least then you have what you want underneath and can whip off the slips for "important" guests LOL

I have leather furniture. It is the easiest to clean as far as birds go. MY cats don't like it for their claws. There really is no place for them to scratch and get their claws into. So, I think that is the best option for us.:side:

You know, maybe my cat wouldn't sharpen her claws on the leather. It can't feel as good as something she can really sink her claws into. I am certain poops would be easier to wipe up on leather. As for special guests, if they don't like the flock, cages, play pens and the general mess that comes with eight birds, they are not welcome anyway.