NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Heartbreaking :(

Carolina

From a raptor-lover's perspective....We see a lot of this with birds of prey, as well. Hunted for food or feathers, netted by the dozens. There is also a smuggling problem in Russia for gyrfalcons shipped under horrible conditions to the Middle East, but from what I understand most of the big-time falconers over there prefer to purchase their birds from the highly-regarded American breeders (one of whom is a friend of mine, whose project is amazing. I helped him and his staff prep and ship dozens of birds overseas, and the precautions he takes for the birds are amazing. The paperwork alone takes hours.).

Though falconry is a huge part of Arab culture (though it actually originated in China 3000-4000 years ago) they are so hands-on with their birds, cleaning up after every poop, that they really don't have a grasp on the idea that breeding pairs need to be left alone.

As a note... wind turbines in the US kill thousands upon thousands of raptors each year, particularly Golden eagles. There are better designs available, but for whatever reason---cost, etc., they're not implemented. And energy companies all but get a pass for the kills.

Rodenticides, such as D-Con, kill thousands upon thousands of raptors and other wildlife that eat the affected rodents.

We think of avian species as being a vast resource, but one only has to look at the passenger pigeon to realize how quickly we can destroy a species.

That greys are among our favorites, and known to have self-awareness, definitely heightens the heartbreak. Whether we hunt animals, farm them, capture them for our own uses as live hunting birds or pets, we have a responsibility to treat all creatures with respect and dignity, and with minimal suffering. That's what makes us human.