NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sqwaking

Vikki

Hi guys need some advise !!! My african grey called dorian keeps sqwaking .. Hes 10 years old we got him from a house that kept reptiles i.e snakes spiders and also owls about 4 months ago .. Took him to the vet hes fine health wise but wont stop sqwaking .. Weve tryed covering him up for about 5 mins that dont work weve tryed engoring him that dont work ... He sqwaks when we r out of the room please help !!!!!!as its driving me crazy !! X x

Welcome Vikki and Dorian! Thanks for taking in a grey in need to a loving and caring home. At 10 years old he probably has a lot of baggage from the previous home. I don't know how much they may have shared with you on if he was with them the entire 10 years or perhaps had been rehomed previously as well and how he was treated in those homes. Does he only scream when you leave the room? One thing about squawking, screaming etc. when a person leaves the room a grey is in, is that it is a natrual instinct for them to call for the flock when they become separated. All birds do this in the wild, as separation from the flock normally means certain death.

I never recommend punishment in trying to change a behavior in a bird or any critter, like covering the cage. It just does not work and induces fear and confusion. I do however understand the contact calling can be nerve racking. You can try positive reinforcement techniques such as giving a favorite treat if he stops for even 15 seconds by reentering the room and rewarding him. This will do two things. First it will show you are in fact in hearing range and secondly the reduction in contact calling earns him something positive. If you do this each time he pauses, the period between squawks will become longer in theory.

Another thing you can do, is replace an irritating squawk sometimes by returning their call with perhaps a nice whistle or "I hear You", "Just a minute" something else etc.

Since you have only had him for 4 months, it's still a critical time for him and you to be building trust by showing unconditional love, patience and making him feel safe and secure. Depending on how much he was abused, it could be a long path in building this relationship in to an enjoyable one for you both. There are many members here with rehomed greys that will chime in here and give you further ideas and advice to help you and Dorian through this.

Again, it's GreYt having you here and I hope to hear a lot more. :)

Very true Dan, patience and reassurance are crucial right now. Let him see you are still with him it may take finding a new spot for his cage to help calm him. Stop by and talk to him frequently, just a moment or two will do. He needs to feel safe from what ever is haunting him from his past or present. As Dan said reward the behavior you want to repeat and try to ignore the ones you don't like or try to put your self in his little four toed shoes and think from his viewpoint and take a look around. Are there scary shadows? Could he see better from another location? Sounds, routines, surroundings and flock (people & pets) are all new and different it does take time to work with a bird who comes with baggage, it can be a very rewarding journey when you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I keep my birds from "contact calling" so much, by talking to them when they cannot see me. You can just speak out loud. Not necessarily to that specific bird. I also sing along with the radio, so they hear my voice. Give him time, he'll calm down. Like said above, you don't know what baggage he's brought with him. He may be afraid of being left alone again by someone else (you), or feel insecure in a new place. Also, birds live in a world of sound. And often when they squawk, or scream, people yell at them to be quiet. Now, they don't understand what the "Be Quiet" part means, but, they do know someone is making noise back to them. That reinforces the screaming, because they feel that a response has been given. And volume means little to them. They won't realize that you are yelling, and react like a dog. Be patient. Once he's secure that you won't go away forever, he'll curb the contact calls.

I do not know what kind of relationship you have with your grey. Do you let him out of his cage, is he flighted or clipped. I do not give my parrots treats for being good. They get them usually in the evening before bed. I really can't help with the screaming for fortunately mine do not scream constantly. I do talk to them when they call out to me. I do let them out so that they can follow me around my home. They have perches by the windows of my living room and in my kitchen in the corners so that they can see me, away from the stove. They are flock creatures and like to be with the flock. You are your grey's flock now. If you have a stand-up perch that you can take from room to room with you that might help. If you can't have your grey out with you or where he can see you, I would have a radio on for entertainment and sound. Birds do quiet down in the evening so darkening a room can help calm a bird down. Be patient.

Hi, Vikki!

Well done...coming to this forum to help, and taking in a bird in need. You're getting excellent advice, and this forum is a wealth of information. The parrot community has learned a lot in the past couple decades, and a lot of old "advice" is not just outdated, but harmful. These folks know their stuff!

Good luck with your bird, and welcome! (I'm new, too!)

Good advise. I love to answer my 'flock' call with "I hear you, I am ignoring you, but I hear you! LOL Mine does call a lot when I am out of the room, but if I answer the first few they become farther apart. Good luck. And remember, that 4 months to you may seem like a long time, but to a parrot it is just a blink of an eye and he is still very scared of your reaction to things.

I would be interested in these replies, as I also have a serious screamer. But Pooka screams when someone is sitting 5 feet away from him - I swear some of my hearing loss is due to his incessant shrieking. He doesn't do it all the time though, usually he's whistling or babbling in "Pooka language". His screaming is SO loud though that sometimes in the middle of his tirade I hear the cat whimper, I know its hurting her ears too.

Cosmo will imitate the smoke alarm and burglar alarm just as load as they are when I ether leave the room, or as I go out. I too, will call to him, "Be right there" if I leave the room, or "I'll be right back" when I go out. This will settle him down a bit. I get concerned sometimes, because I live in an apartment, that he might disturb the neighbors, but that hasn't happened yet.

Great advice given here :D I dont know that Marco really does this or maybe I have chosen to ignore it lol. She likes to do the whistles when I leave the room and I'll whistle back or talk back but normally she knows Im in the kitchen and she just will ramble on a little rant of words until I get back.