NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

TAG Love.

Inara

Inara_2_9-18.jpg

Greetings everyone. I'm completely new to the Grey Forums, but not new to Greys. From the mid 70s to the mid 90s I was a companion to a CAG who was no doubt wild caught and who had been horribly neglected by his "owners." He came to me when they wanted to either 1) kill him or 2) dump him because, "We spent a fortune on this bird and all he's ever done was bite and scream."

I had rehabbed an Amazon who had had a similar background and was delighted to take "Porky" the CAG off their hands. I immediately gave him the more dignified name of LeStat, and the rest was history. He was nearly bald everywhere except his head and a few other patches that he could not reach, and his mandible was nearly detached from his head due to a raging infection that had never been treated. Long story short, within the next molting season his feathers grew in beautifully, he responded beautifully to kindness, patience, vet care, and a peaceful, accepting home. His poor beak issue could not be fixed, but he stayed very healthy and later talked up a storm. He also was kind enough to never bite me, I believe because we could read each other really well.

Fast forward now 20+ years later. Having been fid-less since the mid 90s, and after much, much, much consideration I made the major decision to find another feathered companion, knowing that this one would/will be the last one of my life. Imagine my delight (and a bit of dismay) upon less than a week of coming to the decision (the decision itself took several months) and beginning my search that I found and fell madly in love with a two year old TAG whose current people needed to rehome her.

I had been looking for another CAG and was willing to rehab one, knowing that just in my area in one of the bird rescue/sanctuaries there are several who are in need. After looking at a few CAGs I visted with the little TAG last. I was completely unprepared for falling so hard!! She seems so little compared to LeStat and to her people's credit she has been very well loved and socialized. She's been an absolute delight since she moved in ( a few short days ago). Upon meeting each other it was bidirectional love at first sight. Her original people couldn't believe how she and I "fit." But, such is the world of companions, and at 2 years old, my thinking is that it was a good time developmentally to make a move away from 'mama and papa.'

My avatar is a photo I took of Inara yesterday. Her new name is Inara -- because she is a beautiful, brilliant companion, who flies. Shiny. ;)

She has had quite a southern comfort food kind of diet, so my first goal is to introduce her to healthier foods over time. I'm a retired psych/behaviorist so she and I will have plenty of time to enjoy all sorts of adventures together.

Great bonus today, I found an avian vet only 6 miles from me. They were closed today, so tomorrow will set up a well bird check. She is in great health, and has been DNA sexed: female. But I want a baseline on her, and to establish a relationship right off the bat with a good Avian Vet so that if there is ever an emergency, it's not going to be cold calling and frantic searching.

It is such a delight to have found this site and this forum as when I got my first parrots 1) I was young and did everything by the seat of my pants and by the library. 2) have always believed that children and animals always respond best to patience and unconditional positive regard. 3) fear is never a way to teach any thing.

Soooooo I shall wrap up this post. When you get to know me, you will know that if it can be said in 5 words, I'll say it in 25 :D

Looking forward to getting to know you all better, and no doubt will have questions as I go along, as many things in the parrot world have changed in the last 20 years.

Have attached a couple of images of Inara, above. I think you can clicky the piccies for larger version viewing?

Cheers!

Inara_1_9-18.jpg

Edited by Inara

Welcome to this forum. It's GreYt having you and Inara here. It's always good to hear of a grey being rescued and brought in to a loving and caring home where they will flourish. Based on your previous 20 years of experience in rescuing a wild caught grey and rehabbing him in to a healthy and happy grey for the remainder of his life. I have no doubt Inara and you have a wonderful time together that you both deserve. She is beautiful. Thanks for the wonderful introduction and photos. I look forward to hearing more from you about her and the journey you are both taking together. :)

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! BaileysPapa, I'm not that Inara, but wonderful to know that there is another one out there. "Firefly" lovers unite! :D I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your own adventures with your new companion. :)

Inara decided today that our one-sided conversations (being all on my side) needed to come to an end that it was imperative that we become better acquainted. As I was snapping a photo today she said, "Wait." My husband asked, "Did she just say, 'Wait'?" The dog gave a what the heck?? look. I just laughed because on of the most used words at our home is "wait" --directed at Inara's four footed sister our Rhodesian Ridgeback. Wait at the door, wait for her food dish, etc.

Later on during some quiet time in her cage, she busted loose with a lot of practice talking mumbojumbo, some whistles and some clear words mixed in. She's going to be quite the talker -- which in our house is simply "self defense." haha :D

Edited by Inara

She is so pretty.

We also have a Rhodesian Ridgeback in our family. My niece and her family have one. They are great dogs, though a bit large! LOL and VERY strong! But if they are all like this one, very family orientated and loyal to a fault.

Thank you, Brat Birds. I think Inara is very pretty also. Our Ridgeback is the "Timneh" equivalent of the RR world -- she is very petite for a Ridgie. Yes, very loyal, very smart, and attempts to be bossy. She rings bells that hang on the door to let me know when she needs to go outside. Today when Inara was playing and ringing a bell in her cage, she ran over to the cage, then ran to the door and whined at me to tell me "Let the bird out, quick!!" hahaha

Hi and welcome to the family. You paid your dues and learned along with LeStat, congratulations on your success in getting to know him and condolences on your ultimate loss. But now you have Inara to brighten your days, to laugh with you and to spend her days trying to outthink and outmaneuver you. This is life with a grey companion. I also have a petite TAG Gilbert. We just discovered she is a girl after she has spent a decade or more in various homes in the witness protection program with an undercover identity so connvincing, we all thought she was a boy. LOL. We also have a bell on the door for the dogs to alert me when they want to go out. Miss Gilbert will shout to me to take them outside and she will ring her bell to get my attention just in case I miss theirs. Life is good with our critters. Glad you could join the fun.