NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help! Poop is different today

Keri

It is day 3 with my rehomed grey. I'm a bit concerned. Her poop has been white with green/black squiggles. Today her poop is white with yellow/orange and more runny than usual. :confused: Is this caused by something she ate? Is it normal? Should I be concerned? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Keri

Their poop can change color because of whet they eat. What color is whatever she has eaten in the last few days? Also, stress will make their poop runny, like people who get diarrhea when they're nervous. Many factors will change their droppings each day. They should be somewhat consistent, but, minor variations are not a reason for worry. You've had her only 3 days. She's nervous, and you haven't seen too many of her droppings to compare. I wouldn't worry right now. Keep an eye on it though.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the response. I'm not quite so worried anymore. One thing tough, Baileyspapa said "you've only had her 3 days...you haven't seen too many of her droppings to compare." I actually feel like I've seen A LOT of droppings. She spends a lot of time on the outside of her cage so the droppings go onto the floor, which I try to clean up right away so my dogs don't get into it. I seem to be cleaning up quite a bit. Is this not normal? Should she not be pooping very much?

WELCOME TO THE POOP WATCHERS CLUB !!

Topics of interest.

1.Texture

2.Where

3.When

4.Why

5.How much

6.How often

7.Smell

Events

1.Open forum decision on poop

2.Dose a grey out poop a amazon

Future new topics

1.Up for grabs.

Grey wings thinks smell should be added to the list. I agree

Edited by Ray P

hmmm... my cats refused to get involved in that kind of party. They only time they "taste" is when Timber manages to nail them from the play stand. That is a favorite game of his. They don't feel it, but are impelled to clean themselves when they notice. Most times, I clean them off, but a few times I've missed the action and they do it themselves.

Okay, now I recall being a newbie on this forum and the poop discussion included using it as skin softener since we already have so much on us anyway. One of my favorite books was "Everybody Poops" back in the day when my kids were little. For my husband, it was a the results of lab work from an annual physical while we were overseas. The report had a fecal section... "Color:normal and Odor:none" I believe he keeps this framed somewhere to convince himself he is the king and his poo doesn't stink. LOL. hahahaha. Back to you Keri and your original post. We have a rescue parrot too and with her and other parrot experience I have done a couple of things to protect the dog/parrot interaction. For one thing, once the parrot chewed a wood block, dropped it on the floor, the puppy ate it and we had an intestinal blockage to deal with. That is when I fixed the parrot's floor stand inside a portable baby playpen. We have grown past that and now I just keep wooden toys on the cage playtop so pieces fall down inside and the dogs are not as interested any more. The latest thing that has been really beneficial was to put the travel cage right below the open door of Miss Gilbert's big cage. I call it her "basement apartment". She needs it to be able to get from the floor back onto her cage because she isn't flighted. But an added bonus is there is a liner in the bottom and any food or droppings are "caged" so the dogs don't succumb to temptation to get the poop before I can. I KNOW they are all faster than me.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the response. I'm not quite so worried anymore. One thing tough, Baileyspapa said "you've only had her 3 days...you haven't seen too many of her droppings to compare." I actually feel like I've seen A LOT of droppings. She spends a lot of time on the outside of her cage so the droppings go onto the floor, which I try to clean up right away so my dogs don't get into it. I seem to be cleaning up quite a bit. Is this not normal? Should she not be pooping very much?

Keri,

Oh yes, they can be little "poop machines". Usually when a parrot is sick, their poops are not just runny, it will squirt out of them like water with almost no consistency.

~Rick

WELCOME TO THE POOP WATCHERS CLUB !!

Topics of interest.

1.Texture

2.Where

3.When

4.Why

5.How much

6.How often

7.Smell

Events

1.Open forum decision on poop

2.Dose a grey out poop a amazon

Future new topics

1.Up for grabs.

Grey wings thinks smell should be added to the list. I agree

How about - 8. Does poop make a good adhesive as it dries?

~Rick