NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

He fell asleep-- he never has done that before

chezron

Brutus never sleeps except at night in his cage, after I leave. I have NEVER seen him with his eyes closed or with his head tucked in his wing. This evening he had his head tucked in his wing and his eyes were blinking heavily. He has NEVER done this before. I am a little worried that he may be sick or something. Do your greys routinely sleep during the day or evening-- at any other times than bedtime?

My former greys, Miss Gilbert and Java all fall asleep during the day, foot up, tucked in, eyes closed sound asleep. I think it depends on activity level in the household, its just me here most of the time, plus mine play hard in the morning and take siestas in the afternoon. If he doesn't generally allow you to see him sleep, he may have just had a long night of sleeplessness and felt comfortable enough to sleep in front of you during the day. Since it is a new behavior you were so adept at recognizing, weighing him and taking note of his behavior and also calling his vet to ask what else to look for would be prudent. At least then you would know if your vet was going on vacation or something so you don't get caught by surprise if he did suddenly appear ill.