NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How much sleep does a Grey need?

Cosmos_Friend

Hi everyone,

Cosmo, my GAG insists verbally that he wants to go to sleep at around 7 PM every night. I then shut off all the lights (except for a lamp that's on one of my end-tables so I can see where I'm going!). I'll cover his cage, lower the T.V. to where I can hardly hear it. I typically go to bed around 11, so when ever I do anything around the apartment after 7 P.M., I have to be real quite or else Cosmo will call from his cage, "Go to sleep!". He awakens about 7 A.M. and calls to me to uncover his cage to start his day. He'll usually take a short nap in the afternoon and expects me to do the same. (I don't take naps in the afternoon, so I'll lay down on the couch and pretend to nap because if I don't, Cosmo will become a bit agitated saying repeatedly, "Time to take a nap, OKaaa". My question is, how much sleep does a Grey really need?

~Rick

I love that naptime routine...okay??!! :) My house is very quiet. As quiet as a house with about a dozen birds can be. :) During the day, I'm the only person here, and there are no other pets besides the birds. I cover my guys about 9:00, but most of them are in the livingroom, and we watch TV until about 10:00. We get up about 6:30, and everyone gets fed & watered. Because there is so little activity in my house, the fids all nap on & off throughout the day. So, everyone gets plenty of sleep.

• Haha 1

Yep, 12 hours does seem to be the recommended and norm if you count the naps in the day time. I would say dayo our grey sleeps about 8 hours during the night and takes naps at various times through out the day. He will not go to his cage until we shut down the tv and go to bed ourselves which is normally between 9 and 10pm. Jake the conure is totally ruled by the daylight hours. When that sun starts disappearing in the horizon, he crawls in his cage and calls for us to close the cage and cover him. At 630 am, both the birds are anxiously awaiting to be uncovered. Every grey is different though. It seems to me many greys do not wish to go to bed until the entire household is ready to.

Marco goes to bed when I do then up about 530am various naps but nothing of any length in time. You'll see her eyes closed and shes resting but a noise and they pop open. But at home when Im at work she might nap longer. She usually closes her eyes and chatters away for about 15 min. thats when I know shes really tired lol :D

Brutus doesn't go to bed until 9pm. I have the TV on after that, for about an hour, but it doesn't bother him. He remains quiet in the morning until he is uncovered, sometimes 9am, at the latest. He NEVER naps during the day. Greys are from Equatorial Africa and get 12 hours of day and night with little deviance, so 12 hours IS the right amount of sleep. They have evolved where there is abundant sunshine and daylight, and it is better that we try to replicate that, as well, because you can't change how they have evolved without detrimental effects. So, Brutus gets 12 hours of sleep and a trip out into the sunshine most days, and he is the better for it.

Mine go to bed around 8pm. I'm up around 5am. Sophie will drag her sleepy butt to hang with me for 15 minutes. Snuggle time she doesn't want to miss.I don't encourage her to fully wakeup. She just wants to be with me. I leave their fresh veggies and fruit, pellets and mix, available. Quick kiss.... and I'm sure, Sophie goes back to sleep. Nancy