NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chocolate!

mari89

Good morning. today I wanted to ask a question (if I answer a veterinarian would be ideal, but if you could find sources on the web where he explains why not give it thank you)

Parrots can eat a piece of chocolate every now and then?

Ask you this question because of an Italian site there is a man (who claims to vet) who continues to advise to give the chocolate. He says that a piece every now and then does not hurt. He says that chocolate is not toxic and that is just a stimulant.

thanks to those who wish to answer.

The answer is NO, parrots cannot eat chocolate, one piece may not kill them but the accumulation will, chocolate is one of the items on the forbidden list of foods our birds cannot have, now for us humans some dark chocolate is beneficial in moderation but I would advise never to give it to your birds.

The answer is NO, parrots cannot eat chocolate, one piece may not kill them but the accumulation will, chocolate is one of the items on the forbidden list of foods our birds cannot have, now for us humans some dark chocolate is beneficial in moderation but I would advise never to give it to your birds.

Thank God we have a Forum like Grey Forums for us to ask questions like this!

~Rick

You may see them eat a piece of milk chocolate and think it is no big deal. But since we don't know the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate bar which pushes it from unhealthy and no nutritional value to toxic, why share this with your grey and permit them to develop a taste for it. Every avian vet we have seen (4) has it on the forbidden list. I guess to see someone on a program saying its really not all that bad is kind of like seeing someone smoke a cigarette and since it didn't immediately make them sick, the smoker could say "its really not as bad as they say... see?".

There is caffeine in chocolate. Bad for birds. And the toxic effects accumulate in their bodies, like arsenic does. A small bit won't hurt, but, over time, will be a problem. My friend's Conure, accidently ate some chocolate muffin, when she turned away for a second. She was frantic! Called her vet, and was told that he'd be okay, but, should never eat any more. He's fine to this day. But, she was so upset, that she never brings chocolate into the house anymore. I had a dog, as a child, who loved chocolate. He used to sneak & grab Hershey Kisses. We know, because, there was often poop in the yard with silver foil in it! (ouch!) It is not good for dogs. He probably did okay because he was a large dog, and didn't eat so very much.

• 2 weeks later...