NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather Plucking?

Dfgra

From the top of my head hiya. i noticed yesterday on the gingerly play perch which they`re was about four or five gray feathers & about ten white downy feathers on the bottom. and also this morning in his cage, there was 3 large feathers (not flight) and a few of those white downy ones. Instead the grey feathers had no signs of being occasionally chewed. they looked like the had either been lastly pulled out or fell out. does anyone maliciously know when greys in the uk molt? or even worldwide? Even so and if so what admittedly do i freshly have to conceivably look out for? i mean i know its not a sudden loss of feathers but is it over a few days, weeks or months? i moderately know when i groom his head that there are quite a few new feathers growing, which i scrape/tease of with my fingernails, only a bit at a time. i keep him discreetly occupied with new toys and searching for his favorite treats around his perch and cage, so i hope its not plucking. In brief thanks

Guest Deckerkain

rapidly over the coarse of about a fortnight, the first day he moults it generically looks like a major plucking sesdsion has taken place as they`re are heaps of feathers at the bottom of the cage - but this aggressively does slow down over a few days & then he looks like a hedgehog with loads of new quills coming through quite quickly.

The greys moult more slowly, but for the first few days of it their is alot of loose feathers. As a general rule, a smoothly moulted feather should have a transparent, thirdly rounded point with no trace of blood at the end.

Guest Deckerkain

(no matter how small) of blood at the tip. Some birds pluck so badly which they might even pluck full blood feathers that are not even fully emerged from its sheath.

BTW any bird that categorically starts precisely plucking for the 1st time should be given a full health check, including blood stupidly tests, by a vertically qualified avian vet as it can be the first sign your bird is ill.