NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopting VS. Buying as a baby

KatieG17

Just curious as in do you believe that as getting your grey as a baby you would create more of a connection / bond with it rather than adopting one whos came from another or more homes? Is that the reason why many more would rather have from a hatching, then one with a few years on it?

"Can you aquire the same type of bond if not stronger, of adopting in a 2nd or more home grey then having from a hatchling?"

I have 3 parrots, one I got as a baby at 8 1/2 weeks old, an amazon I got at 6 months old, and a cag I got as her 4th home when she was 2 1/2 years old. M bond with her is as strong if not stronger than my others. I see no difference. A lot depends on the baggage they come with, their personalities and how you interact with them.

Well, thats a really good question. Getting a baby is no guarantee that they will bond with you. They could become your love muffin or another in your home. Also, they may allow some up close interaction, but not like you hear and see some stories of. I got Dayo for me, but my wife has been his love muffin since we started visiting him at the breeders for 6 weeks old onwards. But, even not being his love muffin. I still enjoy just having watched him grow from a baby to full adulthood. They are amazing whether they like lots of up close interaction or not. I kind of view them as a human child. When just babies and young children, they will hug, sit on your lap and just love on you. When they hit there teens, that all disappears. Many times the same is true with a grey once they hit 1 to 2 years old and onwards. So in other words it seems to me to be not much different in rescuing a grey. The exception is they come with baggage from their previous owners. The good, the bad and the ugly. Some rescued greys are love muffins, some will be more stand offish but still be a joy to have from the get go and lastly some will be a work in progress for many months and possibly years.

But, the most important thing I try to pass on to anyone considering getting a parrot either as a baby or a rescue. Is you do so with unconditional love just as you have for a human birthed child and it's for life. Yours or the parrots. Rescuing means you wish to take them out of the hell they were in and welcome them in to your home knowing that whether they love you are not. They are safe, well taken care and will never under your care experience abuse physically, mentally or dietary. :)

Edited by danmcq
  • Sad 1

That is a tough question. I have had both opportunities except my babies did not get the chance to grow up. Therefore they have the perfect memory of being eager to please, all new and bright and fun. I have memories of cuddles and sweetness with no bites or stubborness. Then, I have spent 2 1/2 challenging years and have had to work hard for every minute of progress with a multi-rehomed older grey. What I missed was the "what ifs" of the terrible two's and coming of age of the hatchlings. Who knows if they would have turned away from me and may have chosen a different family member as the favorite, well-loved companion? Who knows if it would have been paradise into perpetuity? What I do know is I read ads every day of people who got the baby, enjoyed those early months and then looked to place their beloved baby into a new home. It isn't so much about the bond to me, it is about either being a committed parrot person or not. If you bring in a baby thinking everything will be great unless it gets destructive, or noisy or a handful of other deal breakers, it won't work no matter how loveable and bonded they were. My older parrot is a diamond in the rough. My family has laughed almost every day at her sense of humor and an awe in which she exceeds our expectations. Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes feel wistful for a little black eyed baby, a ball of soft feathers and wonder if I am missing something by "settling" for someone else's rejected parrot. When that happens and I am stinging from being rebuffed, or worse from a grumpy older parrot that I just can't predict or understand some of the time, I go look at baby pictures of our friends in the nursery room and I imagine Miss Gilbert coming home to someone who really loved her and bonded with her and I get my perspective back. The baby stage doesn't last, some home situations don't last, but when an older parrot overcomes so much baggage and relaxes to become herself there is nothing to compare that feeling of satisfaction that does last as she embeds herself deeply into my heart and soul.

• Sad 1

Just curious as in do you believe that as getting your grey as a baby you would create more of a connection / bond with it rather than adopting one whos came from another or more homes? Is that the reason why many more would rather have from a hatching, then one with a few years on it?

"Can you aquire the same type of bond if not stronger, of adopting in a 2nd or more home grey then having from a hatchling?"

This is not meant to be insulting. It's just another side of parrot ownership and all people should get a complete picture of ownership.

Adopting a pre-owned parrot is a different thing and with it comes some difficulties and situations although the new informed owner is able to understand what they're actually seeing in that parrot. Usually, those people already own or have owned other parrots and are able to ease the pressure that the pre-owned parrot is going through.

These parrots have usually lived in either one or a few homes in the past. With each home, the parrot develops habits that pertain to what's going on there. Parrots don't forget things very easily and when that parrot moves on to that next home he/she takes those habits with him/her. It's frequently referred to as 'baggage' which involves many aspects of the parrot's personality and habits and ways of thinking. The ideal adoption of a pre-owned parrot is getting one that has no 'baggage', but that's impossible. First of all, the parrot is older and very sure of itself. The 'baggage can't be gotten rid of. Usually, a person that adopts a pre-owned parrot forfeits the experience of that parrot living and acting like a baby. Many people, be they experienced or inexperienced don't have a problem with that phase of ownership. The people who do have a problem are the ones that expect that experience. They don't get that experience. What they do see is an obvious amount of previous 'baggage' and they become disillusioned and many times, the parrot will soon be off to it's next home. The amount of 'baggage' that the parrot stores away when living in that home depends on how long the parrot has lived there. Part of that newly obtained 'baggage' are the personalities of all the different owners and the methods used to make the parrot conform at each home. Again I say, parrots don't forget and they have the natural ability to store away more and more situations. Some of these owners should have never taken on the adoption of a pre-owned parrot and some of these same people should have never taken on the task of owning any parrot.

The only similar thing I can compare this situation to is the adoption of a child. The ideal adoption is when the child is very, very young and the new parents are being given the chance to easily intergrate that baby into their family life and style. But what about those children that are 7, 8, 9 yrs and older. They also come with 'baggage' which will remain with them. Some people can't handle that older child and then he/she will shortly be making that familar journey back to those different foster homes and all over again just waiting for the right people to come along and who will accept them for what they presently are.

Adopting an older child isn't for everyone. Adopting an older parrot isn't for everyone. Luckily, there are those experienced people out there who can cope with either situation. The people that get baby parrots are doing another type of wonderful thing by providing that new creature with a hopefully good future.

My message here is that people should never think less of themselves if they can't adopt an older bird. It's not for everyone. There are many people out there that can and do adopt the older bird. They open their hearts and homes for that less than perfect lonely, sad mistreated bird never expecting a huge major change but instead, their only desire is that the parrot will put all the wonderful new experiences that are about to happen into their 'baggage' pouch and live happily ever after in their final home and we should never forget to give those people as many gold stars as are available._________________

Edited by Dave007

Great responds from experienced re-homers. I have both re-homed(a zon) and parrots I have since being weaned (greys). My re-homed zon was 1 1/2 when I got him and lived outside since his male owner could no longer care for him. Louie is a handful and I love him to pieces. My Tag is a sweetheart and very good. My CAG is a brat.. he is selfish and a bully. What I am saying is that each parrot is different regards of being a re-home or purchased from weaning. Their personalities are a roll of the dice.