NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bailey's Aviator Harness

BaileysPapa

I got an Aviator harness for my Bailey. He allows me to touch him all over, and accepted the harness around his head. However, once I began tightening the body strap around him, he freaked out! I immediately took it off of him. He's allowed me to put the harness over his head again. But resisted the body strap. I think we're making good progress, but, I also think it's going to be slow going from here. Anybody have any tips to get him used to being restrained by this? In the past, I've had birds that accepted the harness, but, they were conditioned to it before coming to me. Others that I have tried to harness, who had no experience with it, went miserably. I will not give up! ;) :eek:

Just keep exposing him to it. It took Greycie a few weeks before I could get her into hers. You may try putting it on without tightening it a couple times per day for a few days and slowly start to tighten it down. He'll eventually get used to it.

Greycie is very used to wearing one but the instant she's spots me with it she flies all over the house to keep away. Once I catch her though she grumbles and whines but goes through the motions.

Edited by SterlingSL

Your doing great so far. It's just slow as you go. Getting it around and under the wings could take a while. But, the way your are respecting his rejection when it gets outside his comfort level is spot on. The most important thing, is to make certain a "Bad Experience" for him does not happen as much as you can. I don't know if you've watched the dvd that comes with it. But it clearly shows and recommends slow and steady steps as you go until they are fully comfortable with a step before trying to progress further.

My grey, when I first finally got to the step of getting the harness almost tightened went into a tantrum and wrapped himself all up in it, start biting it and rolling around etc. It took a few minutes for him to settle down and a couple of peanuts to keep his beak busy while I untangled and got it off him. I was very close to cutting it off, but the peanuts worked. It took several tries over a couple weeks before I actually got it fully on , tightened and took him for a stroll outside. Then each time I got the harness out, it was hit or miss if he would actually let me get it fully on and out for a few minutes. This was when he was between 6 to 8 months old. Now, years later, we no longer even try. He became more and more resistive. He has no desire to go out in the harness now. So we have a pak-o-bird and a travel cage he loves to go in either. It's actually much safe in a carrying type cage because we have hawks every corner you turn around here.

scg3.jpg

Kizzy became accustomed to the harness over several months. We started out with the feather teather harness, and I would praise him for having it near him, then laying on him, then being fastened. Cracks me up, but he likes wearing clothes. He thinks he looks pretty in them. It was then a smooth adjustment to going to the aviator harness, as it is much easier to fasten. :)

Edited by Kizzybird

Yes, I watched the DVD several times. He was so comfortable with it that I tried a bit further. But, since his episode, I only put it over his head, or leave it where we are playing. No stress, no hurry. We have the rest of our lives together to do this, or anything else. If he does not like it, that's fine, as well. I have several other birds, and only one accepts a harness.