NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can African Greys take peppermint leafs?

Danny Kwok

Hi, I have a 4 months old CAG. He is adorable. I just want to make sure can Grey takes mint leafs? He is eating fine with its pellets, fruits and brocolli with sweet corn. Since I have some home-grown chilli and mint, I am thinking to add into its diet. Just to create some new things for him to eat. Please advice if I can let him eat any of these?

Danny Kwok

Photo on 9-11-13 at 2.48 PM.jpg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. Angel seems to eat whatever I give him. He likes sweet corn and broccoli. He seems to play around with food more than eating them. Sometimes I saw him chew on them and let go, as though just to entertain me by showing he is eating. I wonder will grey really eat them even they swing the food around after chewing them? Anyone have same experience before here?

Thanks for all the advice. Angel seems to eat whatever I give him. He likes sweet corn and broccoli. He seems to play around with food more than eating them. Sometimes I saw him chew on them and let go, as though just to entertain me by showing he is eating. I wonder will grey really eat them even they swing the food around after chewing them? Anyone have same experience before here?

Yes, Cosmo does the same thing with some of his food. It seems he only drops the larger sized food to the floor of his cage. A lot of times, that's the first thing he does when he starts to eat his fresh supply in the morning. My guess is that he satisfies his foraging instinct by dropping some of the larger food to the bottom of the cage because he'll climb to the cage floor and "forage" for what he dropped earlier.

~Rick

Remember how small your bird really is (weight-wise). When I rehomed Timber, I was concerned that he didn't seem to be eating much. Someone pointed out they he doesn't eat much (as in comparison to a cat for instance). Timber picks at his vegetables. He eats a bit, but not a lot. In my case, that is the best I can hope for.