NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The other pets in the house...how to intro safely?

Michellec

I know not to have them alone....they are under direct constant supervision. We are so worried though. A mini schnauzer instincts are to chase small creatures......the standard poodle is often used as a bird dog.( but ours does not live that life)

During the day or anytime we are not home our standard poodle and mini schnauzer have always been and will be in their crates.

Before Nala joined our home, our Siamese (our daughters) would have free roam of the house. She is an indoor cat, 11 yrs old, and will eventually go with our daughter after college.

We've had all our pets from the time they were old enough to leave mom.

How do we do this? We don't want to endanger Nala in ANY way.

Thanks.

Many of us have other pets in the house. I have four cats. You have to be vigilant all the time. Timber is never allowed on the floor. Once in awhile he will fly and land on the floor, but I'm always there to scoop him up. That said, my cats have never shown much interest in Timber. He is more interested in attracting their attention and pursuing them. If I had a cat who had been outside, been a hunter etc. I would be more worried than I already am. I either lock the cats away or lock Timber in the cage if I am not able to give their whereabouts and activities total attention. Wish it wasn't this way, but there it is!

Mine are all front declawed. However, they pack a meaner bite than you would suspect if really trying and they are big. If they landed on him it would be major damage! The lightest is about 15 pounds and the largest is 20. Just creeps me out thinking about it. On the other hand, Timber is always the aggressor. He trys to bite their tails as they pass by the cage, meows to try to get them to stick a nose in the cage etc.

As you can see from the comments so far, our parrots seem to get the upper hand pretty quickly. My CAG spends a lot of time with my parents' Toy Fox Terrier when we visit...sometimes days at a time. I am always very vigilant, but the dog seems to know that Gracie is a part of the "pack" and no longer shows the slightest prey instinct towards her. In fact, he has ceased to chase birds in the yard as well. The only time he pays Gracie any attention at all is when she calls "Barkleah James! Come here!" and then dumps her food bowl on the floor for him to devour. Once he has eaten up her leftovers, he wanders off to the couch for other pursuits,

I have 2 small dogs who think the furniture in the house is there for them so they are always on it. I also have 3 cats, (2 are indoor) one of the cats is totally blind. MY cats never bother the birds, they are too big for them, but occasionally my outdoor cat will stalk my parakeets in their cage, but gets a stern no and a spritz from a spray bottle. It rarely happens anymore. All my animals are afraid of the birds, Nilah my amazon will run towards any of them and bite them, and they run the other direction.

In the beginning though, I never took my eyes off of any of them until they felt comfortable and I understood their behaviors and acceptance of each other. Tragedy can strike in a second, so never allow them out unsupervised in the same room.