NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Changing My Grey's Name

KarahEve

So, as stated in my intro, I just adopted a 2 yr old CAG named Rebel. It's believe to be a she, however, she hasnt been DNA sexed yet. I am not fond of the name Rebel at all and would like to change it but could use some advice as to how to go about doing so. Also, Im trying to shoot for a unisex name (just in case "she" turns out to be a he). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

She says Rebel. But as far as associating it as her name... I can't really tell? Only other words I've heard her say were "hello", "whatcha doin" and then some mumblings before saying "video".

Some people never try to change the name. some people use a similar sounding name. Other people never say the word(present nme) again. You may wanna pick a name and add a word or sound to it. Some birds may repeat the original word even with a new name. Some birds may not assoiate a word(name) to themselves. but They will get used to your tone, vocal inflection so try out a few things. Use your imagination.

SOME NAMES ( MALE & FEMALE & UNISEX )

Sunny--- Vergil ---Paco---- Floyd--- Skye ---- Poncho--- Taz --- Sparky --- Ozzie--- Buffy --- Roxy---Joey --Maxi ----Dusty ----Sammy---- Gumby ---- Cisco ----Paddy -----Romeo--- Buster---- Sunshine---- Scooter---- Moonshine ----Sugar---- Sweetie ---- Tazzy------ Petey---- Juan ----- Tiger -----Tweets ----Keiko---Cody---- Okie -----Rexxy----- Chipper -----Minnie ----- Bart----- Ricki ----Kiwi ----- Sunny -----Reba ----Tino----- Buddy---- Angel ------Yuska -------Zelda ----Tookie -----Harley ------ Buster -----Zoey -----Jax----- Ricky------ Princie ---- Mokie-----Coco -----Penny----- Molly ------ Peaches -----Candy -----Ozzy------ Bandit --

Oscar ------Tango------ Sweet Pea ------ Hogan ------Harry------ Sophie----- Rosa ----Robbie ----- Casper ----- Elvis ------ Chipper--- Sweet Pea -----Nibbles----- Sparky------Mickey----Suger ----- Dusty------ Rocky------ Belle

I would suggest putting the two names together. Initially start off with "Rebel Imara" and as she gets used to that you can start to drop "Rebel". She will hopefully soon come to associate Imara as her name as well as "Rebel" and understand that "Imara" means you are also asking for her attention.

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

After I found out Sukei was a he and not a she, I thought about trying to change his name, and after much thought, I figured parrots do not know if a name is male or female, so just decided to go with it.

However in your case the name might be offensive to you, or for other reasons, I can understand that.

In our case though, Sukei was so screwed up emotionally when we got him, I just couldn't see adding to the confusion.

Im sure how ever you work it out it will be just fine, : )

After I found out Sukei was a he and not a she, I thought about trying to change his name, and after much thought, I figured parrots do not know if a name is male or female, so just decided to go with it.

However in your case the name might be offensive to you, or for other reasons, I can understand that.

In our case though, Sukei was so screwed up emotionally when we got him, I just couldn't see adding to the confusion.

Im sure how ever you work it out it will be just fine, : )

lol thats how I felt when I named Marco as a baby and then found out HE was a SHE ... but I dont think SHE minds much ... and she, I believe associates the word as her name. She adds it to the end of each little thing she says, are you hungry marco? whatcha doing marco? wanna eat marco? its kinna cute :D

I was assured that Gilbert was a he and after two and a half years have discovered he is a she. When we got her, she already knew her name and would say "Gilbert okay" when she was scared or "Time to go night night Gilbert". It is still fresh to find that Gilbert is a girl, just one week today. For now we call her Miss Gilbert, and we have considered renaming her. The thing is, every situation, like every parrot, is unique. You will know if Imara fits and she/he accepts that identity. And as far as letting the bird choose, well Miss Gilbert chose to start calling me LuLu more than six months ago and that stuck, so if she can rename me, I can rename her. LOL. You are going to spend the rest of your life with this beautiful grey, let it work itself out naturally. If you think of her as Imara and want that to be her name, she will understand that and will respond to it.

Imara means strong or resolute. I think Marco is a realllly cute name... Especially for a girl :) I'm going to try out Imara for a while... and really just see what happens. If it sticks, great. If not, either on to the next one. I'm sure we'll get it down soon enough. And I like the idea that if your bird can rename you, then you can rename the bird. Cute :)

Maybe some day your Grey will be able to clear-up the mumbling, and tell you about the video. :o

When I saw the picture you included on your first post about saving him/her, I couldn't help but to think of what kind of hellish life it must have had before you came along. (I'm guessing Rebel was the name that mean old man gave her) It's a good idea to give him/her a new name, it's possible that calling your new friend "Rebel" might bring back bad memories.

(Could be true)

Imara means strong or resolute. I think Marco is a realllly cute name... Especially for a girl :) I'm going to try out Imara for a while... and really just see what happens. If it sticks, great. If not, either on to the next one. I'm sure we'll get it down soon enough. And I like the idea that if your bird can rename you, then you can rename the bird. Cute :)

KarahEve,

Is He/she lowering it's wings and exposing it's back in your Avatar pic? If it is (My Cosmo does the same thing when I handle him) I believe this to be a sign of ultimate trust. When Cosmo does this, he wants me to stroke and kiss his back, much like in my Avatar.

~Rick

KarahEve,

Is He/she lowering it's wings and exposing it's back in your Avatar pic? If it is (My Cosmo does the same thing when I handle him) I believe this to be a sign of ultimate trust. When Cosmo does this, he wants me to stroke and kiss his back, much like in my Avatar.

~Rick

Stroking a Greys back is not a good idea. It is usually felt as by the Grey as a sexual advance and can lead to frustration.

Steve n Misty

KarahEve,

~Rick

Yes... she does that nearly every time I interact with her. I know its a good thing as far as the fact that it seems that she is quickly gaining trust for me. However, I also know it's not the best thing to provoke that type of behavior so I try to distract her when she does that. She's already allowed me to pet her a few seconds at a time and also acts like she DESPERATELY wants to step up (lifting up her leg and grabbing my hand and pulling it toward her. Then doing the same thing with the other leg) but I'm trying not to push her too fast. As excited as I am that she seems to be warming up to me quite quickly, I'm trying to only move at a pace that is comfortable for her.

And as far as renaming her, I honestly dont know how bad of an environment that she came from. All I was told is that she wasnt taken out of her cage for at least 6 months and one of her talons being gone is a mystery. When I picked her up, she was very aggressive toward the person I got her from. It honestly didnt even take 24 hours before she started OBVIOUSLY getting comfortable with her new surroundings. Either way, it seems obvious that I am providing a better environment for her than she was likely used to. And not truly knowing how bad her past may have been, I really want her to have an absolutely fresh start.

Edited by KarahEve

I agree with the stroking of the back and wings, as sexual, but disagree with the kissing. NOT going to agree with that. We are a very kissy family Sophie LOVES her kisses and has lots of kisses to offer. It doesn't have to be a sexual thing, if they are taught that kisses are an example of love and endearment. I kiss her beak every morning, and kiss it every night before bed. Always have, and always will. I also kiss my kids on the cheek every morning before they go off to explore the world, as kiss them goodnite on the cheek, before they go to bed. ( when home) Nancy

I think Dave was referring to the possible transfer of bacteria or virus from person to bird, or the fact that a bad bite can happen to the lips or face. I don't think any of us (including the birds) would interpret kissing between humans and bird as sexual. Google "parrot bite to lips" and look at the pics sometime.

Nancy, this is not directed at you. What we all choose to do with our birds (kissing etc.) is our own business. I'm glad you have that kind of trust with Sophie. I made this comment for those of us with less experience and trust. Not all birds will ever get to the point of being totally trustworthy all the time. I agree with a statement I've seen here many times, never forget that birds are wild and are not domesticated.

I agree with the stroking of the back and wings, as sexual, but disagree with the kissing. NOT going to agree with that. We are a very kissy family Sophie LOVES her kisses and has lots of kisses to offer. It doesn't have to be a sexual thing, if they are taught that kisses are an example of love and endearment. I kiss her beak every morning, and kiss it every night before bed. Always have, and always will. I also kiss my kids on the cheek every morning before they go off to explore the world, as kiss them goodnite on the cheek, before they go to bed. ( when home) Nancy

I've read that about a parrot's back is their sexual area, so given the feedback I've received, I won't stroke Cosmo's back nor kiss it. I do kiss Cosmo on his beak, where he imitates a couple of smooching sounds, we call this, "A Beak Smooch". I know it can be dangerous, since I'm exposing my lips and face to a possible serious injury. I've attached a pic of Cosmo in full back exposure.

053.jpg

Cosmos_Friend Just be careful my friend.... faces are off limits in my mind, until they are completely trustworthy! ( as you are in their minds!) Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I've had Cosmo for 6 years now (He was 13 weeks old when I picked up from the breeder). I'm disabled, so I spend a lot of time with him, and he's never shown any aggression towards me (nor my cat, {and visa-versa} of whom which I adopted 3 years ago). He's been declawed by a previous owner and is now 13 years old. however, I know parrots never lose their wild instincts and they could be unpredictable no matter how much they trust you. That being said, maybe I shouldn't tempt fate.

~Rick