NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Camera Shy And Frustrating Me

JeffNOK

Several months ago I sang the song, "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" to Gracie. I sang it because my Mom used to sing it to me as a child, and it was a sweet soothing song. I had no idea what it meant, however. All of a sudden--out of the blue--Gracie started singing it....but she changed the words. She sings: "Bring Back Bring Back, Bring back my Daddy to me, to me..." It is the most adorable, cutest, sweetest song she has ever sung. I never taught her "daddy" I sang the original version. She does it every day, and I want so much to capture it on film...but she shuts up the minute a camera is in view. I am so frustrated. I have attempted to film her about 20 times, but she clams up...the stinker. I have tried to acclimate her to the camera by letting her peck it and examine it, but when it is turned on she eyes it like some sort of predator. Are your greys camera shy, too? I will get this on film and post soon if it is the last thing I do!--It is just a matter of time--but I am at my wits end now. Why don't our greys want to please us like a faithful Golden Retriever? I already know the answer--I'm just wishing. I could make a fortune if she actually vocalized on command. The minute she thinks I want her to "perform" she shuts up. She has no idea how many cool new toys she could get if she would just cooperate.

Cameras make a noise and most have a light showing that they are recording. Try wrapping your camera in a towel, except for the lens and mic and then set it up on a table where you only need to reach over and hit the button. Webcams can be used for recording and are another option. Their operation is silent and is activated by your computer.

I think it took about 3 yrs for Phenix to give me an avatar pic. He doesn't like to be watch like that, anyway. Part of his issues. But they are prey animals so I think it's just instinct for a lot of fids.

Maybe you'll have better luck w/Gracie. But I've been trying to set up the lap top &/or tablet where I might catch Phenix in the act. Unfortunately, so far, all I've caught is him sitting & preening. But I'm hopin! :)

I have a camcorder set up on a tripod in the kitchen. Greycie doesn't even care. I'm trying to film her playing catch on top of the fridge but the problem is me. I'm too lazy to make sure it's charged, has room on the card etc....

Tonight she was vocalizing words for both of us and we can't figure out what she's trying to say but she's saying something. I was telling my wife we're lucky because some people have Greys that will only practice in seclusion. Our Greycie loves to ham it up right on my shoulder. If only I could get my lazy ass to record and throw it on youtube....

Silly Daddy, Gracie knows she is going to get all those many cool new toys anyway, why bother with an over the top effort to do your bidding when you wish. LOL. The time will come when all your stars align and the camera is ready for another song from Gracie. Miss Gilbert is camera shy to an extreme. I have caught her talking on camera once in two and a half years. She was hanging upside down and playing and I was in amazement but every time I even leaned to one side in my chair ten feet away, she was like a little spider monkey scurrying up the side of the cage and into her hiding spot. My theory is they love to hear us tell our friends and family about their antics and refuse to allow it to be documented in order to leave everyone guessing as to whether we are outright lying or getting dotty and making up an imaginary friend.