NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is my Grey doing?? First time CAG owner

KatieG17

Soo its only my 4th day with Paco, I have been letting her sit on the outside of her cage on her door, its so far her favorite spot, well she keeps putting her head down like she wants to fly, (shes flighted) she doesnt fly but she kinda spreads her wings apart (not opening and stretching) but just holds them apart and moves them around, (like if a human was to move their shoulder blades.. What is she doing? Hopefully you guys get what Im saying lol

My cag does te same thing, but sometimes quivers as well. She wasn't allowed to fly until I got her, but I think it is because she was clipped and couldn't fly, but wanted to. It's as tho they want to take off and fly somewhere but can't or aren't sure. Usually when she does this, I talk to her and reassure her I am near. Or I go and pick her up and bring her with me.

She may be trying a quiet way of soliciting your attention and interaction.

It may be that she is seeing something casting a reflection or shadow on the ceiling that she isn't sure is "safe" and so is making ready to flee from it.

Maybe she isn't always 100% sure about taking a flight around the house and is just getting ready for it.

From the reading up I've been doing on body language and behavior it is hard to say exactly as there are so many little things one has to be aware of in a parrot. Where and how feathers are fluffed, eye dilation, leg stance, head positioning...etcetera.

I'd tend to agree with BaileysPapa. Timber does a lot of stretching, wiggling, wing spreading, shrugging, etc. I have always assumed he is just stretching. He also does the quiver thing Talon mentioned. It is like he is trying to get every feather exactly the way he wants it. Wish I could read his mind!

Is the angle of her back almost 0° compared to the horizon? Like this picture:

grey-hand-phobia.jpg

If so, it's her being exited, whether it's positive or negative should be evaluated from the situation.

Are there sounds or objects in the room that are new to her? Than this could be a sign of her being curious.

Maybe a sign of her wanting some attention from you.

What is the stance of her feathers?

Is the angle of her back almost 0° compared to the horizon? Like this picture:

grey-hand-phobia.jpg

If so, it's her being exited, whether it's positive or negative should be evaluated from the situation.

Are there sounds or objects in the room that are new to her? Than this could be a sign of her being curious.

Maybe a sign of her wanting some attention from you.

What is the stance of her feathers?

great post :)