NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alarming feather loss

SRSeedBurners

Greycie has suddenly within the last couple of weeks begun to lose feathers at what is to me an alarming rate. So far she has no balding spots and you can't really tell by looking at her but we see the feathers all over the place and I keep seeing her with a feather in her beak while she's preening. I've watched her and don't think she's plucking or scissoring them off which leads me to believe this may be normal?!?

We've seen all sizes except the long flight feathers. Some as large as the shoulder feathers. Lots of flooffies too. She is also acting really itchy on her head and has stepped up her scratching intensity and frequency. All else appears to be normal.

Might be time to investigate the aloe vera misting maybe? Is it molt season?

Edited by SterlingSL

This might explain her sudden return to super sweetness recently. She used to to be super sweet with me, wanting to be cuddled, gentle nibbling, a little bit of cooing and Greycie sweet mumbles. I thought she had grown out of it as I wasn't seeing it to much but she's returned to that as well. Of course I'm taking full advantage of it while it lasts. Now I'm thinking she's really asking for some help with the preening. Tough job - keeping a Grey looking in tip-top shape. Girl needs a little help.

Maybe we can all get together and make one big downy pillow!!!!!

We could! I have every feather dayo has lost since we brought him home as a baby. From primaries, secondaries, tertiaries and tail. Big ole freezer bag filled with them. I keep want to make a large dream catcher out of them. Thinking about it, they are to pretty to make a pillow out of. I'll go grab feathers from the huge flocks of geese residing here right now before they migrate south to Mexico. :)

yes charlie seems to be losing a good few also, we recently came back off a 14 day holiday and he looked in great condition when we got back (with a new vocabulary also), as he has been molting alot of feathers my little girl also collects everyone :) and keeps them in a big clear tub, she is going to make a african grey picture from just out of the feathers when she has enough she said :)