NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Who has the oldest grey here?

KatieG17

I may be technically out of the running for the award but my former Grey that I got when I was 21 is 24....wait, did I just date myself? She is currently living with my Aunt but will be returning to me when my aunt can no longer care for her.

Jesus, your ancient...... NOT! :P

But, I believe that qualifies. :)

I may be technically out of the running for the award but my former Grey that I got when I was 21 is 24....wait, did I just date myself? She is currently living with my Aunt but will be returning to me when my aunt can no longer care for her.

Phenix has been with me for about 25 yrs. But he as a grown adult w/an unknown past when I got him. So all I can say is that neither of us are spring chickens anymore. (feel better? lol)

I know these don't count, but... My present feathered child is only 3 1/2 months old. But, my CAG who passed away in 2004 was already with my Grandparents when I was born in 1952. And being wild caught, we never knew how old he really was. But, he obviously was over 52 years old when he died.

I know these don't count, but... My present feathered child is only 3 1/2 months old. But, my CAG who passed away in 2004 was already with my Grandparents when I was born in 1952. And being wild caught, we never knew how old he really was. But, he obviously was over 52 years old when he died.

There are a few parronts on the forums w/40 something yo fids. But considering what people knew about bird keeping back then, that's even more impressive! Phenix was also wild caught. But I'm guessing he came thru one of the smaller quarantine stations & I've never been able to get any useful info from his band.

I totally agree. You're definitely showing signs.

Nice try Dave. :P But you've got way more Greys than I have. ;)

There are a few parronts on the forums w/40 something yo fids. But considering what people knew about bird keeping back then, that's even more impressive! Phenix was also wild caught. But I'm guessing he came thru one of the smaller quarantine stations & I've never been able to get any useful info from his band.

Yes, back then there was not too much known about Parrots, and there were no Avian Certified Vets. But, my Grandparents were farmers, and knew a lot about poultry, and used some of that knowledge with Jessye. Also being farmers, they grew & canned & preserved a lot of their own food, so, Jessye ate veggies & fruits long before we knew we should feed them that way.

I believe this is the oldest documented grey I have ever heard of.

I believe this is the oldest documented grey I have ever heard of.

Unfortunately, I have no photos, records, or anything that could substantiate that. He did show his age, by having arthritis in his legs, cataracts, and his feathers were not in the best condition. Just like an old man. But, he was active and aware right up until his last day. Because of his conditions, I kept him in a large cage like one might keep Guinea Pigs in. He had a platform perch, and crock food & water bowls on the floor of the cage, for his ease and comfort. He slept with a small blanket that he'd cuddle up in. I found him one morning with his blanket over him, he died peacefully in his sleep. I still cry every time I think of that.

Unfortunately, I have no photos, records, or anything that could substantiate that. He did show his age, by having arthritis in his legs, cataracts, and his feathers were not in the best condition. Just like an old man. But, he was active and aware right up until his last day. Because of his conditions, I kept him in a large cage like one might keep Guinea Pigs in. He had a platform perch, and crock food & water bowls on the floor of the cage, for his ease and comfort. He slept with a small blanket that he'd cuddle up in. I found him one morning with his blanket over him, he died peacefully in his sleep. I still cry every time I think of that.

They get into your soul. We had a Jardine's for 7 months that was the sweetest bird I've ever known. Lost her last Friday night- she had PDD. We're still crying off and on and I don't cry over much of anything. She was a sweet sweet soul. She's buried outside our bedroom window with a bird of Paradise plant that has the feathery leaves and orange flowers just like the Jardine's are known for. Loved that bird...

Well, you knew you he was at least 5o + years old. Thats the oldest Ive heard so far. What a peaceful way to go, yet sad. That mental image brought a tear to my eyes as well.

They get into your soul. We had a Jardine's for 7 months that was the sweetest bird I've ever known. Lost her last Friday night- she had PDD. We're still crying off and on and I don't cry over much of anything. She was a sweet sweet soul. She's buried outside our bedroom window with a bird of Paradise plant that has the feathery leaves and orange flowers just like the Jardine's are known for. Loved that bird...

Oh Sterling, I am so sorry to hear this. You have my deepest condolences.

Oh SterlingSL, I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words.....I am glad you have a special memorial in his honor. Jeez, I tear up and cry every time a grey in our family here flies over the rainbow bridge..to join the waiting flock.