NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Buckeye

Hello, I've been looking on this forum for about 2 months now but just now created an account, I am getting a African Grey around Christmas time, or when the breeder has another CAG available. I can't wait because i've heard there so cool and so much fun. Ive been doing research for almost 2 years now and I am making the decision to purchase a grey. :)

Woohoo! Good for you :) Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you have been researching. I was ill-prepared to get a grey. I had no idea of the complexities involved, or of their needs, or of the cost for the matter. I have no regrets, but wish I had done the research before I got Timber.

Hello Buckeye and welcome to our family.

I am glad to hear you are doing your research before plunging in and getting that grey but do be aware that not all greys are like the ones you see in those videos, not all greys will talk and do the things you might see them doing in those clips. Having a grey as a companion is much more than what they might be able to say or tricks they may be taught to do, they are complex creatures that require our time and commitment to ensure they have the proper requirements for being a happy and healthy pet. They may not always be so cool and so much fun when they bite and being parrots they can and will bite but you can avoid most by learning to read their body language.

• 3 months later...

I am an OKIE from Oklahoma, but lived my first 10 years in Ohio just outside of Cleveland. Your 2 years of research will serve you well and this forum will provide a wealth of information as you continue your journey. I joined the forum a year before I got my grey and did years of research beforehand. Greys are fantastic. I assure you of that. They are also individuals who differ from each other as much as we humans differ from each other. My Grey is the apple of my eye, but she has her unique personality which at times can be hard to fully understand. You have come to the right place, and I know all of us here are happy to answer any questions you have and take the journey with you. I look forward to hearing more of what will come for you and your prospective grey. Welcome!

Edited by JeffNOK