NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Intro & CAG or TAG for our family

Michellec

Hello all! Please feel free to move this intro if it needs to be elsewhere due to my questions.....I am not sure of the best forum.

I'm new to the site. I've been waiting most of my adult life to be in a place where I could provide a good home for a parrot. African gray has been the type that has been on the top of my list, as well as macaws.

I stumbled recently upon a bird shop in a town near ours. I went in and really liked a macaw they had who recently came in as a surrendered bird.....it was purchased at the store and came back when the owner was unable to care for him. After the initial visit, I've been reading continually about parrots and specific species to understand what is required as far as care and attention. The African gray seemed to be a good fit.

I visited him again with my family and while there in the shop talking to bird owners and spending time with the macaw, I came to the conclusion that the macaw is just too big, too loud, and overall too much for me.....especially one that is 1.5 yrs and has issues. My confidence and experience is not a good match. Also the family did not think a macaw was a good fit for us.

The shop did not have any grays. However the owner does/can obtain them. She has two breeders she works with. I am going to ask for info on the breeders. She obtains them as babies, hand feeds them until the bird is ready to wean (they follow the birds lead from what I understand), and then the bird goes home with its new family. During those first months, the family comes to the shop to spend time with their bird.

I have talked to another bird shop owner in a neighboring state and she said the shop owner I have been dealing with is very good.

So......which gray is the best fit? Here is my life in a nutshell:

I am a teacher. Special education at a small school in wyoming. My husband is a school principal. Our children are mostly grown. We have a son with Down syndrome who is almost 19 still at home and a 14 yr old son (who is a natural with birds) also at home.

We have a big poodle, a little schnauzer, and our daughters Siamese cat. Daughter is in college.

We are gone for work from about 7:30 to 4:30. Home most weekends......sometimes, if there are activities, one or all of us may be gone on one of the weekend days. (Like for school activity, going to larger town to get supplies....we live very rural etc)

When I was a child and teenager, I had two birds (but not at the same time), a budgie and a cherry headed conure.

I want a bird that can go to school with me. I have permission to do so. We'd prob take the bird with us around our small town in warm weather. I would like to harness train my bird.

My 14 yr old would prob work with the bird a lot also, so we are hoping for a bird that will accept more than one person.

We do want one that is known for talking and capacity to learn. I'm getting my masters degree in early education, so the mental needs of a young child is something I know a lot about.....isn't a gray like a 2-5 year old child?

What are your thoughts regarding which type of African gray based on what I have shared? The bird shop owner can get either CAG or TAG. It may not happen until spring because she says the birds are more readily available then.

Male or female?

I would not get to meet several babies and choose since the breeders that the store owner uses are located in Texas and...I think.....Louisiana.

I'm going to speak at length with the shop owner for her advice, however I want more than just one persons input.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

I have had a CAG, and now am guardian to a TAG. From my research, I believe that Timmies are the less problematic birds. Congos seem to be more clingy, one person birds. And tend to be more prone to plucking issues. Like us, individuals differ, and things depend on their early development, likes & dislikes, etc. Both are excellent talkers. Timnehs are thought to mature earlier, and not stress over things as much as Congos. There are more experienced Grey owners here, though I have been involved with birds for over 45 years, and have often heard that Timmies are easier to deal with.

I have had a CAG, and now am guardian to a TAG. From my research, I believe that Timmies are the less problematic birds. Congos seem to be more clingy, one person birds. And tend to be more prone to plucking issues. Like us, individuals differ, and things depend on their early development, likes & dislikes, etc. Both are excellent talkers. Timnehs are thought to mature earlier, and not stress over things as much as Congos. There are more experienced Grey owners here, though I have been involved with birds for over 45 years, and have often heard that Timmies are easier to deal with.

Thank you. That mirrors what I read somewhere.

What about male or female?

Welcome to our family and thank you for such an informative post, it helps with the advice you will get here. I have a tag and a cag in my home. First off, there is o guarantee that your grey will talk, some never do, you need to know there is no guarantee it will. But they will be just as sweet and loving as one who doesn't.

I can defininately say, that my tag is very easy going, less afraid of new things, but still fearful occasionally of some things. She is sweet and kind, but very much a practical joker when you least expect it. She even laughs after she gets us. She talked very early, she said her first word at 4 months. She is not a cuddler and doesn't like to be petted or rubbed unless she asks, and then it's only for about 3 seconds at a time at your request. My cag is scared of everything, has a much louder talking voice, loves loves loves cuddles at night. But like I said, much more nervous and fearful of everything I bring into the house even any new item sitting on the counter will make her shy way.

Hope this helps, and please keep us updated.

Don't think males vs females makes a difference, but I have all girls. And yes they all bite on occasion, so beware, some here have greys that never bite, but most wil

Especially when they feel threatened and you have to learn to read their body language, which is a lifelong lesson.

Edited by Talon

Welcome to our family and thank you for such an informative post, it helps with the advice you will get here. I have a tag and a cag in my home. First off, there is o guarantee that your grey will talk, some never do, you need to know there is no guarantee it will. But they will be just as sweet and loving as one who doesn't.

I can defininately say, that my tag is very easy going, less afraid of new things, but still fearful occasionally of some things. She is sweet and kind, but very much a practical joker when you least expect it. She even laughs after she gets us. She talked very early, she said her first word at 4 months. She is not a cuddler and doesn't like to be petted or rubbed unless she asks, and then it's only for about 3 seconds at a time at your request. My cag is scared of everything, has a much louder talking voice, loves loves loves cuddles at night. But like I said, much more nervous and fearful of everything I bring into the house even any new item sitting on the counter will make her shy way.

Hope this helps, and please keep us updated.

Don't think males vs females makes a difference, but I have all girls. And yes they all bite on occasion, so beware, some here have greys that never bite, but most wil

Especially when they feel threatened and you have to learn to read their body language, which is a lifelong lesson.

Thanks.

Do you think there is a difference between the two as far as going into schools?

My thoughts are no......and the school thing s more about the bird trusting me and being socialized from the beginning? Please correct my assumptions if I'm off.

Thanks.

Do you think there is a difference between the two as far as going into schools?

My thoughts are no......and the school thing s more about the bird trusting me and being socialized from the beginning? Please correct my assumptions if I'm off.

Unless you have an extremely well trained bird that's been very socialized with many people, going to schools isn't a good idea. That type of socialization takes quite a while. Sinceyou're new to owning greys you'll have enough on your hands when trying to socialize with the rest of the family including 4 legged animals.

Dave, thanks for the info. That's unfortunate....I had planned on having a cage and/or stand in my classroom where the bird would be during at least one day a week. I teach special ed, so I'm in a small room that I'm in and out of and small groups of students also come to me for extra help. So,if the bird is use to that from early on, it still would not work? How do I go about taking the bird with me when I am out and about over the course of life? I had envisioned the bird going with me to help cut down on time left at home.

I appreciate the advice...I honestly thought I'd be able to take the bird with me. This s why i am asking questions beyond just the owner at the bird shop.....I want more than her input.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Greys are very intelligent & sensitive creatures. I've used other birds (cockatiels, lovebirds, a B & G Macaw, ducks, and a Hahn's Macaw) as Therapy Birds in Assisted Living Places, and for lectures at schools, scouts and 4-H clubs. Not all birds are so social or accepting of either new people, or groups of people. Only after having the bird for a while can you assess that. My CAG was not a very friendly bird to new people. Nor did he accept new things easily.

Michellec, I have a TAG and a CAG. Both of which I have had since weaned. There is oodles of information in the threads here. You should do some readings and assess for yourself which one you think might help in your endeavor. My opinion each bird is different and there is no real way of telling which will be fearful and which not. All will bite if provoked.

Greys are very intelligent & sensitive creatures. I've used other birds (cockatiels, lovebirds, a B & G Macaw, ducks, and a Hahn's Macaw) as Therapy Birds in Assisted Living Places, and for lectures at schools, scouts and 4-H clubs. Not all birds are so social or accepting of either new people, or groups of people. Only after having the bird for a while can you assess that. My CAG was not a very friendly bird to new people. Nor did he accept new things easily.

Thanks. So it would depend on the bird? I'm ok with not taking it to school as long as it would be ok at home alone with ample activities and my teachers hours. I suppose after I had the bird for a while and if he/she has shown that he likes people, I could take him/her during the summer when it is calmer. If not, that's ok.

Would taking the bird with us on day trips be ok if he is harness trained and we have a portable cage? By day trip, I mean along for a day at the tiny rural airport where my son flies gliders and where I skydive, or on a picnic. Or am I totally unrealistic and would a bird be happier at home with the tv on?

While we are home every evening and a lot during the summer, we are active people.....but hardly ever go overnight anywhere.

A well socialized bird, in a harness, is a wonderful thing! I have a lovebird now that goes everywhere with me in his harness. I've had various others also. It's a great way to expand your birds world. I'm going to start harness training with my new angel soon. You must be diligent watching it. People always want to pet any of my birds when out with me. Years ago, I had rescued a Cockatoo named "Snowflake" that became a "Velcro bird" and never wanted to leave my side. Everyone wanted to touch her. I made up a T shirt that said, "RESPECT THE BEAK !!" on front & back. It got the message across, and most people would then ask before reaching to the bird.

Thanks. I just got a call from husband and son who are out of town on a day trip and stopped in the bird shop (which husband really likes) and they have both CAG and TAG babies that husband and son are with right now! I'm so jealous that I stayed home to do homework. It was not part of today's plan but when my sons flying lessons were cancelled, they decided to go into the city and to the bird shop. They told me they love the African grays and I got a pics of them on my cell phone. Even my husband who didnt think he was a bird person. lol Wish I was there!!

Hello and welcome Michelle. I don't have any advice to offer in choosing between TAG and CAG, having rehomed a TAG a year ago and not having had a CAG. Many of the forum members take their birds on day trips and outings with harnesses or in pack-o-birds. The classroom is another story. I'd say it depends a lot on your bird's individual personality and the way they are socialized. From what I've read and the other grey owner's I know, most grey's (TAG or CAG) aren't very comfortable in groups of people they don't know and unfamiliar situations. As Baileyspapa mentioned, people will just stick their hands right up to them not realizing they could draw back a bloody stub. I'd really be concerned that one of your students might get too close. Most greys aren't tolerant of people they don't know getting in their space and will bite, fast and hard, especially if frightened.

Many of us work all day and our birds are fine at home with plenty of toys, forage items etc. Many of us also leave the radio or tv on for them (not sure how much that helps and Timber has never told me what he thinks of the tv ;) As long as you have a routine (they know when you are leaving and coming home) and have adequate out of cage and interaction time when you are home all will be well.

I've never seen anyone post anything about gender being a consideration with a grey. In fact, they are so similar in appearance and actions that they have to be sexed by dna. Outside of a bird laying an egg, you'd never know if you had a boy or a girl so I don't think that would be a factor in your decision.

Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted :)

Apparently while at the shop a CAG female born in April 2013 attached herself to my son and even warmed up quickly to my husband.....the guy who USE TO say he was indifferent to birds.....they are on their way home with her!

I really think this bird was meant to be. Strange circumstances today leading them to the bird store which was closed but the owner happened to decide to go in today and saw them and let them in........I'm so excited!

So, I guess the question between TAG and CAG was solved with this female CAG choosing my son.

They sent a few pics of her on the drive home.....she is really laid back, already talking and adores my son. The owner of the shop gave her home phone, cell phone etc.....so we will have her support and guidance.

We are so fortunate!! I can hardly believe how this as fallen together. :)

They were going to surprise me with the TAG baby there.......but then the CAG just decided that we were the family for her, I guess. My husband said when they realized this, the shop owner and son and husband realized it had to be the CAG. Ok....I'm going to meet her in a few hours. Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow! I'm sure we all will be racing home as soon as school is over to see our new girl.

I wouldn't call it an impulse buy. This is not my first bird and I've been talking to and visiting parrots as well as reading a very great deal. I came here for additional input beyond the in-person learning I've acquired and all the reading and communication via phone and email with two different bird shops.

I think an impulse buy is someone who has a tax return in hand and thinks a parrot s simply "cool" without understand the level of and lifetime commitment.

That "ruffled my feathers" a bit, to be honest.....knowing the amount of time and research I've done thus far.

luvparrots,

Her eyes are starting to lighten, not black or very dark, but more of a grey about he shade of her darker feathers....as far as i can tell from the few photos that have been sent me while they drive home. When they get home, I can look at her certificate to see her hatch date but it was this past April. (2013)

Honestly, one of my biggest regrets was not purchasing a baby CAG in an Okinawan pet store that immediately "took" to me. It was one of my favorite stores to visit and on this afternoon the owner had just gotten a baby CAG in and of course I had to have a pet. The little sweetie snuggled up to me and cuddled and for one of those small brief moments in time everything was right in the world.

The price was a bit staggering. I would have had to empty my bank account with nothing left over for purchasing anything else except food (i.e. cage, toys,etc) until next payday (two weeks at least). I was too responsible to do that and regretfully put my little soul baby back in the tank and watched a nice Japanese couple step in to pet the bird. I'll be damned if that little minx totally ignored them and did his/her level best to get back to me, risking injury by flinging itself out of their hands and plopping with a thud onto the floor. I can't describe the feeling. It was gut-wrenching to walk away knowing this bird wanted me.

I held out for 24 hours before changing my mind. Next business day, I went to the bank, took out my money and went back to the store only to find that the little grey had been purchased only that morning.

Maybe it was ultimately for the best but I'll never really know since that one decision could have changed the entire course of my life and who knows for what, good or ill. I did resolve never to ignore that "feeling" again however. Just haven't had it for a bird since. It seems that the universe is throwing African Grey adoption opportunities in my direction as there have been a couple of ads in local craiglist's and the Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico just took in four new Greys......maybe I should stay away from Albuquerque for the foreseeable future LOL

Honestly, one of my biggest regrets was not purchasing a baby CAG in an Okinawan pet store that immediately "took" to me. It was one of my favorite stores to visit and on this afternoon the owner had just gotten a baby CAG in and of course I had to have a pet. The little sweetie snuggled up to me and cuddled and for one of those small brief moments in time everything was right in the world.

The price was a bit staggering. I would have had to empty my bank account with nothing left over for purchasing anything else except food (i.e. cage, toys,etc) until next payday (two weeks at least). I was too responsible to do that and regretfully put my little soul baby back in the tank and watched a nice Japanese couple step in to pet the bird. I'll be damned if that little minx totally ignored them and did his/her level best to get back to me, risking injury by flinging itself out of their hands and plopping with a thud onto the floor. I can't describe the feeling. It was gut-wrenching to walk away knowing this bird wanted me.

I held out for 24 hours before changing my mind. Next business day, I went to the bank, took out my money and went back to the store only to find that the little grey had been purchased only that morning.

Maybe it was ultimately for the best but I'll never really know since that one decision could have changed the entire course of my life and who knows for what, good or ill. I did resolve never to ignore that "feeling" again however. Just haven't had it for a bird since. It seems that the universe is throwing African Grey adoption opportunities in my direction as there have been a couple of ads in local craiglist's and the Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico just took in four new Greys......maybe I should stay away from Albuquerque for the foreseeable future LOL

Wow. Thank you for sharing that. The events leading up to and encompassing today have convinced me that this CAG on her way home with my son and husband was to be ours. A little sooner than the timeline I had thought.....but I've lived long enough on this earth to know when things happen in coincidental manners, it is often more than a mere coincidence.

I tried to upload a pic from my iPhone that my son sent me from their drive home but it looks like I need a URL link? I don't have my pics anywhere but on my photos on my phone, iPad, and saved on a flash drive on my dell pc. How do I do this?

They should be home soon......

Hello and Welcome!! When the bird picks you - it is always a good start!!

With a CAG you just have to go a bit slower in introducing new items and people.

As far a school is concerned, I would be very wary. It would only take a moment, when your eyes were off the bird, for a child to decide to "pet" her. This could definitely lead to bites and that would not be good.

I took my TAG to schools. But we went together and of course, not being the teacher, I could keep my attention on my bird at all times. Now, he loved to 'perform' for the kids - hated the harness - but loved the kids! LOL

Looking forward to pictures. When you can take your eyes off your baby long enough to find the camera!! LOL