NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

advice needed! getting used to a new flighted bird!

KatieG17

For anyone who keeps up with my thread knows I picked up paco my cag on Friday! Well as much as l have been taking it slow and keeping her in her cage, yesterday afternoon I opended her door to put a toy in and she came crawling over as fast she could, I started to shut the door but she clung to it staring at me like wth.. so I slowly opended it and she deff wanted out. So she sat on the top of her door while it was open, now it was her 2nd day being here, so shes still very new, although she came from a home who as the same as me has, 3dogs, 2cats, and another bird. So she is used to their presence... Well while she was sitting on the door my cat ran by the cage and it spookrd her! She took off flying right to my macaw kokos cage. (Her previous home had a cockatoo, and they said paco would fly onto her cage as well, and that they would switch cages now and then ) well I have a very fiesty macaw, luckily she was on the floor because that's not how I want them to meet... (Koko doesn't fly) so I had paco step up onto her stick and brought her back to her cage.. not even 5 min later my fiance was cleaning kokos cage and had the tray pulled half out on the bottom , koko climbed onto it and with her weight on it, kinda made it hit the floor and it made a noise.. well the noise startled paco again! She took off flying right to my window where she had a rough landing, and of course here comes my curious cat (who wouldn't harm her) just liked to get close and watch.. came running over. I felt so terrible!! 2nd day and she's probably traumatized already :( I really hope in time she gets used to all this behavior and doesn't get spooked as easily!!

She will get used to the level of activity. Things that made Timber jump or spook the first few weeks don't phase him now. It just takes time! When Timber startles and takes off, I think he realizes he overreacted almost immediately most of the time. It appears to be just instinct (to fly from danger). He has a light clip, so when he glides to the floors he will shake himself off and start walking toward me for a step up, with a "what was that all about expression." If the cat or the macaw had gotten hold of her, that would be traumatic. They seem pretty pragmatic to me, and usually all's well the ends well. If she's still coming readily out to sit on her door when you open it, I don't think you have any worries.

Give it a little time Katie and things will settle down for Paco, she has some adjustments to make as she settles into her new home but she will get used to the household activity in time but be aware that there will still be times that something sudden will cause them to spook, it happens at my house too.

Awww, poor thing. The good news is she wants to be out. The bad news is it's all new and the slightest fear inducing event will kick in the "Fight or Flight" mechanism they are have. A loud noise or will also send them flapping around in their cage. I would really suggest just leaving her in the cage for at least 3 or 4 days to get used to the new surroundings, people and flock that resides in your home. :)

Awww, poor thing. The good news is she wants to be out. The bad news is it's all new and the slightest fear inducing event will kick in the "Fight or Flight" mechanism they are have. A loud noise or will also send them flapping around in their cage. I would really suggest just leaving her in the cage for at least 3 or 4 days to get used to the new surroundings, people and flock that resides in your home. :)

Yes Dan she wants to be out!! She gives me this poor sad stare and when I open the door she goes right for it where shell sit and watch everyone. I kept her in the rest of the day after the incidents, but yesterday I put all the animals away and gave it a 2nd try. She sat there forever untill I put her back in!!.... Also a little off topic, but I believe the previous owners only took her in and out of her cage by a stick, is this something I should stick with??

Yes Dan she wants to be out!! She gives me this poor sad stare and when I open the door she goes right for it where shell sit and watch everyone. I kept her in the rest of the day after the incidents, but yesterday I put all the animals away and gave it a 2nd try. She sat there forever untill I put her back in!!.... Also a little off topic, but I believe the previous owners only took her in and out of her cage by a stick, is this something I should stick with??

Removing any fear inducing critters and probable noise inducers before allowing out of cage is fine. That was perfect. The other critters will be more familiar over time as she views them from her cage. In regards the stick/perch question. Since that is what she is used to, yes use it. But, you can over time get rid of it by inching your hand forward when you get it and offer a step up until your hand is basically right next to her talon when she steps up. The important thing to note as you move it close over the coming days is to watch he comfort level. Use that as your gauge to decide when to move it closer. Ultimately, you'll no longer need the stick. :)

Eventually, you will be able to introduce the rest of the animal kingdom. For now, they need to be removed, so you can work on welcoming baby safely. Your new baby is already interested in his enviroment. Remove other animals, open the door to the cage, let baby stepup and out. Develop the trust with you and other humans first. Eventually, you can work on the relationship between other animals. Sophie was the " last", to join our animal kingdom and now rules. Ollie (dog) leaves her a piece of chicken, she leaves him a peanut. Sophie tells Ollie and Zoey to " go out and pee"... they run for the door. LOL Nancy

Sophie tells Ollie and Zoey to " go out and pee"... they run for the door. LOL Nancy

LOL Dayo would tell our dobermans Bentley and Chloe to "Be Quite" when they started barking. They would look back with the stink eye thinking "Oh yeah, come on down hear and tell us that". :P

Your right though, they come to think they rule the entire household.... which for the most part they do as we cater to there every request. :)

Removing any fear inducing critters and probable noise inducers before allowing out of cage is fine. That was perfect. The other critters will be more familiar over time as she views them from her cage. In regards the stick/perch question. Since that is what she is used to, yes use it. But, you can over time get rid of it by inching your hand forward when you get it and offer a step up until your hand is basically right next to her talon when she steps up. The important thing to note as you move it close over the coming days is to watch he comfort level. Use that as your gauge to decide when to move it closer. Ultimately, you'll no longer need the stick. :)

I would also add that when using a stick, aim it upward. Birds don't like walking down on sticks or branches to bite at things. Their normal direction is upward.

Dave has an excellent point! First, remove threats so bird can focus, and you can get to know each other.When Sophie came home, my blind Lhasa Apso, made the decision within two weeks, That Sophie would replace him, as the matriarach over our animal kingdom. Max was 18 years old. He lasted another six months to teach new puppies to never " charge" Sophie. Sophie adjusted quickly to us when adopted. Most of our time was devoted to adjusting to new puppies and interacting with dogs.When Max felt he had taught the new pups to understand Sophie made the decisions, he let me know.She was on her own. Hardest day of my life, to let my best friend go. Nancy