NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

such a bad bird

jbsmomto1

and I mean that in the most lovable way, but he really is very clingy and seems to need to be right where I am at all times, no matter how inconvenient it may be. I don't usually lock him in his cage bc I am home most of the time, if I go out obviously I lock him in.

Lately he has decided that he just cannot be without me, if I am outside he comes to the door, if I am in the bathtub he comes and sits on the side of the tub and watches me, if I am in the shower so is he, if I am in bed he yells and hollers for me that he is alone and yells "help" (LMAO) he just refuses to be alone..

Is this normal behaviour? he has always preferred to be near where I am and it was all good as long as he could see me, now it needs to be ON me etc etc...

He has only a small vocab ....goodboy, got your beak, peek a boo, and help ...I admit that when he is yelling Help it cracks me up and he is very aware of it bc he just does it again and cocks his head to the side and waits for the laughter , sometimes he will laugh with me but not always lol. He is a funny bird, and he knows it.

How can i best teach him that he doesn't need to be with me or even on my person ALL THE TIME, without hurting his little bird feelings and yes he makes me very aware of when I hurt his feelings bc he turns away from me and won't look at me.

Yes, this is completely normal for a grey. They just want to be wherever you are and e a part of what your doing. They are flock creatures and you are part of their flock. You could set up a schedule for them of out of cage time, and give them a few hours in his cage in the afternoon. That's when they usually like quiet/nap time.

I was home most of the time for a few years, And allowed them out all day and they would misbehave a lot, I found once I gave them their quiet time, they were happier birds

I didn't mean to laugh a little at your post jbsmomto1, I know when it is taken to the extreme this would be undesireable, but like Timbersmom, I have one that sat on a perch for two years and wouldn't even look at us. I am wondering if you were to have a table perch near you and give him things to keep busy and occasionally picking him up and reassuring him, then returning him to the perch where he can be with you, but not on you would be a good start. If you give him interesting things to destroy and figure out, maybe that would give you five minutes in the bathroom alone. LOL. Seriously, I get what you mean as you say in the most loveable way. Miss Gilbert has been yelling "Maaaaaaa" when I am out of her sight after my daughter thought Will Ferell was so funny on Wedding Crashers. Then, my sister thought it was funny when her big outdoor dogs taught my mini dachshund how to howl. This morning the dog was howling, the parrot was alternating between barking, howling and yelling Maaaaa while I was trying to draft a really difficult new quillt pattern. I had to laugh, but I also had to abandon my project.

As Talon said, they are flock creatures and by their wild instinct, must stay with the flock or die in their minds. If you leave them caged while you work on something and you do not want them around caging is the best thing to do. Then they will contact call to ensure you are in hearing range and they expect some kind of response even if it's I hear You or Just Wait. Doesn't it feel good to be so needed though? Dee would be more than will for Gilbert to hang on her shoestrings in everything she did, I believe. :)

Some here would love to have your problem but greys are flock animals by nature so naturally they want to be with you if not on you but I am guessing that as he matures this will lessen some for they usually become more independent and like having some time to themselves, but think of it this way he loves you and just wants to be near you.

I would also suggest giving him more foraging toys, and preening toys to occupy that mind for a while. There are many stimulating toys out there that once they get interested in will keep him busy. Things like puzzle toys where he has to figure out how to get the treat out of. Or something with a lot of dangling cords or ropes to chew. You could also look at human baby toys that take some thinking. They're non toxic because babies are expected to put everything in their mouths. I had a Fischer Price abacus that my birds loved to play with by pushing the beads back & forth. I also had a toy that was a peg with different sized rings that they loved. Try the baby section of local dollar stores. They have simple toys that are inexpensive. It may take a while for him to accept these things, but, if you play with them with him, he'll get interested.

Haa,haa,haaa... This sounds like my Congo Grey. I don't know if you can teach him "not to need you all the time", however I'm sure if this can be done there'll be someone with more experience than I with training, to post a possible resolution. I know it can get annoying sometimes, but I have to remember that my Grey absolutely adores me, as much as I adore him.

Its all about your birds needs at this age. You either satisfy this age of development or don't. I suggeest recognizing the most important age development you will ever experience. Terrible twos will be involved, and it truly sucks! If you work thru the terrible twos.... the end result can be amazing, as Sophie is awesome now at age 13.

Sophie's eye pinning now.... " I want to learn!" Nancy

Eye pinning... In the beginning, is a " warning" I feel threatened. As time goes by, eye pinning for a bird that is comfortable in their surroundings, can mean " learning". Sophie demonstrates eye pinning when she is interested in learning something new. Nancy

Escher is 15 months old and I have the exact same problem. He loves his playstand and it is between our recliners but if I'm not in my recliner he needs to be on me or he will flock call like crazy. He will even do it when i'm in the kitchen and he can see me from his stand. Our feathered and furred kids are not allowed in the kitchen, too many ways to get hurt. I've found that if there is something I need to do, and I can't have him on me, putting him in his cage till i'm finished works really well. He usually settles down, until he thinks he's been in there long enough, and just whistles and talks so we whistle and talk to him. When I'm finished I go get him and he gets all excited. This is what works for me, try different things and see what works.