NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ID your bird!

Mistyparrot

Just a reminder to all who keep a parrot especially Greys as it can be difficult to prove identity just by description. If it has a closed ring or any ring for that matter note all the numbers and markings on it. Photograph any unusual markings and the beak and feet and eyes in close up. As some unscrupulous people are not beyond removing rings from found or stolen birds get you bird microchipped. If you bird is chipped verify the chip each time you visit the vet for a checkup. They can fail. It has happened to my chipped Grey. I frequently read of lost birds on other sites where the keeper has neglected these simple precautions. Do it even if your bird is clipped and you think it can't fly away. Some may surprise you and some get stolen. Do all these things as soon as you adopt your bird. A chip or ring will not guarantee you will get your lost bird back but it will immensely improve your chances.

I have also posted this in the welcome room.

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot
  • Haha 2

I responded to that post as well, but will also do so here because of the importance of this. When I volunteered to help the SPCA after Hurricane Katrina, the lost animals that were returned to their owners fastest were the ones that were microchipped. And, keep the info current. If you move, get a new pet already microchipped, or whatever, update the information on the microchip website. This could make the difference between getting your pets back, or not.

This sounds worse than it is, but, a tiny microchip (smaller than a grain of rice) is implanted under the skin, usually in breast area on birds. It is done with a hypodermic apparatus, quickly and relatively painless. Some birds are startled by the procedure, but, most are relatively unaffected. A good veterinarian will do it easily with no effects. It has been done to dogs, cats and horses for quite some time. While being toweled, some have covered the birds head, so they don't see it coming. For the few minutes of guilt and anxiety, the benefit far outweighs the stress (to you). If not done, and your bird is lost or stolen, you'll wish you had. Most vets check for chips at any exam. If info doesn't match, vet will question the "new owner". I've known a few pets returned to guardians in that scenario. A reason to repeat my previous statement to keep the info current on the microchip website.

Edited by BaileysPapa

Technology is amazing! I will have vet checkout Sophie's band. What is involved in micro chipping? Nancy

As BaileysPapa has said it is a quick and easy injection. Misty has had it done twice as the first failed. This very rarely happens. The vet said that the first one may have been put to close to the surface of the skin and came out during a routine preen. Misty was not at all troubled by the operations and he paid no attention to the place where the chip was inserted. It is well worth doing for the security of your parrots.

Steve n Misty