NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A reminder to all keepers about ID

Just a reminder to all who keep a parrot especially Greys as it can be difficult to prove identity just by description. If it has a closed ring or any ring for that matter note all the numbers and markings on it. Photograph any unusual markings and the beak and feet and eyes in close up. As some unscrupulous people are not beyond removing rings from found or stolen birds get you bird microchipped. If you bird is chipped verify the chip each time you visit the vet for a checkup. They can fail. It has happened to my chipped Grey. I frequently read of lost birds on other sites where the keeper has neglected these simple precautions. Do it even if your bird is clipped and you think it can't fly away. Some may surprise you and some get stolen. Do all these things as soon as you adopt your bird. A chip or ring will not guarantee you will get your lost bird back but it will immensely improve your chances.

Also posted in "The Lounge"

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Agreed! When I volunteered to help the SPCA after Hurricane Katrina, the lost animals that were returned fastest to their owners were the ones that were microchipped. Also, keep the information current. If you move, get a new already chipped pet, or whatever, update the info at the microchip website.