NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Very concerned about Talon

Talon

It's hard to remember to change things up when working full time and kids and other animals. Guess I need a kick in the butt.

I try to remember to rotate a toy or two each time I clean cages. I usually have a stock pile & I don't necessarily wait for a toy to get destroyed. But that way the cage keeps changing & it isn't a big production to do it.

How did things go at the vet...?

Kura's set up looks so inviting, I think I might want to move in. That paper towel roll might be just the thing to try on the outside of his cage to give him time to get adjusted. He does punch his ticket on the adding machine tape, but the soft side might catch his attention. Maybe I could cut through the larger roll with an electric knife or saws-all to make smaller chunks of fun.

Kura's cage is really great to clean & lay out. I'd recommend it for anyone .

My original idea was to cut the rolls. But I didn't have anything like a power saw & it wasn't doable by hand. But necessity is the mother of invention. Fortunately, the cage was big enough to accommodate a full roll & I'm actually glad that it worked out that way. I don't know if it would have had the Wow factor if I'd used pieces. On the other hand, Phenix might have been more willing to give it a try if I'd been able to offer him something less intimidating.

QUESTION - How does everyone have their adding machine tape hung? Everyone else seems to be getting a good response to it. All my guys just ignore it.

Edited by birdhouse

Our adding machine tape sits sideways between 2 plastic cup lids that had holes in the center. I ran a toy chain through the center with a bell at the bottom and a link at the top. Because it doesn't roll out like a toilet paper roll he has to work at it a bit and it lets me roll it back up. I could hang it like a tp roll but he likes it this way.

Gilbert is fearful of most toys. I have an acrylic disk set that is made for the adding machine tape and he wouldn't go near that. Then I just took the paper roll and set it on the playtop with an inch or two hanging down and over the past month he has pulled it down and punched holes through it but when I tried again with the holder, no dice bucko. Maybe just thread a few paper pieces through the bars first and get a reaction before trying the whole roll.

I have some of ours strung with chain from old toys that were picked clean, i put large buttons on each side and wood pieces after that to the top. The others go thru theirs so quick that it just hangs on the chain for easy changing out. We also drilled a hole thru a phone book we cut in half and hung it in the cage, another hit with the greys.

I stock up on the bagels when the bird marts are here, Gus picks at them until the color is off then he is done with them. The water bottles are my empties so reallyy there is not expense. Pat gets so mad when there are 10 bottles sitting all over the counter drying out after i cleaned them out just waiting to load them up. For Bongo, i fill it with Cherrios and he bangs it all around for the sound until he discovers the lid, then its his personal mission to remove it.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update. I decided not to take Talon to the vet for the time being. She appears to be doing very well after her soaking on Sunday. in fact, she has been very active, plying more and seemingly much happier. So I will continue the soaking events regularly, and see in time if I notice anything more. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, I have used many of them. I even added a paper roll in her cage and she has been having fun with that, also I poked small holes into an empty toilet paper roll, and poked long uncooked noodles (her avorite teat) into each hole and hung it in her cage. SHe loved that as well!

Thanks guys. Love how we all find our own unique ways to do things like this. But basically it sound like hung almost any which way is supposed to be good w/adding machine tape. :confused:

I've made it easy to unroll & various degrees of difficult. I've even played w/it with them. So Ok, guess it's just a non-stater here. Gotta appreciate how our fids all have their own unique ways to do things, too, I guess.

:cool: Glad to hear Talon's doing better, Penny! Look at all the good sharing this started, though.

Penny, I read an article about a parrots sense of "time" and it made me think of you and Talon. Generally, in the wild parrots have the rising sun and the shades and shadows as cues of how to spend their day. I recall reading this book when we first got Miss Gilbert (The African Grey Parrot Handbook, Mattie Sue Athan and Dianalee Deter). We did this three lamp ritual in the evenings with Miss G when we first got her so the first lamp going out meant going into the cage time was getting close. Second lamp meant an almond was coming for a bedtime treat and the room being dim calmed her before the final lights out at bedtime. Where the author was speaking was about someone home full time with their parrots and then having to go to work full time, the use of timers would give the parrot something to "mark time". She suggested a half hour tv show on a timer to come on to help the parrot judge when the owner would be soon returning. I was wondering if something like that would be helpful for Talon during the day. If you had a phone with an answering machine that allows the message to be on speaker you could call and tell her you are on your way and she might then predict your return would be soon. If we could come up with a series of cues for Talon, it might bridge the gap in the time you are away.

Edited by katana600
clariity