NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homemade atom

Ok, I just made it. It only took about 15 mins. So easy! I did 13" cuts though so maybe that's why it doesn't look round? And I added those 2 rings on the sides and eye screw on bottom for toys :) I put it on a PVC stand for the pic (I know, i need to redo the vet wrap).

image_zps14a2c6ec.jpg

Many moons ago in my life before Gilbert the fearful, I saw the directions and made a similar atom using lawn sprinkler tubing and then wrapped it with sisal rope. It was a really hard job and took a long time to figure out how to drill it and knot the rope so it wouldn't get picked off. This looks a lot easier. Thanks for the thread Jamie. Thanks for the demonstration of making one to verify that it is a do it yourself kind of job that was much faster than the one I saw. Now that you reminded me and Gilbert is getting more active and fearless, I will get the other one out of the attic. One thing I found helpful when I hung ours was to put a shower tension rod in a narrow hallway leading to a guest bathroom. I could make the perfect height without drilling into my ceiling. Also from the wild bird store, I bought a flexible fabric screen seed catcher and that kept my dogs from getting the shredded wood or other shrapnel that the parrot tossed down. Kudos to you Kim Kim for the proactive approach and thank you to you and your husband for your service!

It may be weeks or never with a new item. I have had a boing hanging by Timber's playtop for about 4 weeks now. He doesn't seem afraid of it and plays with the bell on the bottom. I have yet to see him set foot on it though. Actually, I put him on it after a cuddle session a few times. He hops on it and quickly makes his way down to the regular perch on the playtop. Hope springs eternal though!

• 2 weeks later...